ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland vying for an official visit from IMG four-star DE

Having decommitted from Nebraska after the firing of Scott Frost, IMG four-star DE Cameron Lenhardt is wide open and currently hearing mostly from four schools, Maryland, PSU, Rutgers and Duke. With IMG set to face St. Frances locally, he is looking to possibly take an official visit to Maryland next weekend. More at the link below.

STORY
Reactions: huehueterp

TBT: Looking back at Maryland and Penn State starters as recruits

It is Throwback Thursday once again, and today we compare the Terps starters to their PSU counterparts. One note on the Terps, Locksley has said that Rakim Jarrett is a game-time decision this week. But I have to say, after doing this exercise, on paper, PSU is absolutely loaded. They start 13 former Rivals250 prospects and another three four-stars. And that is not including former top-50 prospects Nic Singleton (technically the backup RB now) and Landon Tengwall (local OL out for the rest of the season). Honestly, when I look at this PSU lineup on paper, it really seems like this program under performs based on the amount of talent they have. Not quite on par with Ohio State, but pretty darn close.

STORY

Maryland Men's Basketball Signs DMV Trio as Part of Nation’s 13th-Best Recruiting Class

COLLEGE PARK, MD – The DMV focus continues for the Maryland men’s basketball team as head coach Kevin Willard officially announced the signing of three four-star recruits on Wednesday. The trio of DeShawn Harris-Smith, Jamie Kaiser, Jr., and Jahnathan Lamothe ranks as the 13-best class in the nation.

Harris-Smith, Kaiser, and Lamothe make up one of the best DMV trios to sign with Maryland since 2002 when Travis Garrison, John Gilchrist, and Chris McCray joined the Terps. It’s the most DMV players to sign with Maryland in 15 years.

As a group, they represent the highest ranked class for Maryland since 2018 when the Terps ranked 7th overall.

“We extremely excited to welcome DeShawn, Jamie, and Jahnathan to the Maryland Basketball family,” said Willard. “They know the culture of Maryland basketball and each will make an immediate impact on the program. They all play with a chip on their shoulder and a drive to make their programs and teammates better every day.”

Login to view embedded media
Four-star recruit who ranks as the No. 1 recruit overall in Virginia and No. 89 nationally by Rivals … Also ranked No. 1 in Virginia by ESPN and is 53rd on among its top-100 recruits … Chose Maryland over Villanova, Indiana, Penn State, and Xavier … As a junior, was the VISAAA Division I State Player of the Year after averaging 14.4 points, 7.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, and 2.2 steals … Led Paul VI to the VISAA Division I State Championship title his junior season as well … Played for Team Takeover as well where he was earned All-Tournament First Team honors at the Peach Jam … Left-handed point guard.

Willard on Harris-Smith – “DeShawn is a 6-foot-5 point guard who makes everyone on the court better. He can impact the game offensively and defensively like no one I’ve coached before.”

Four-star recruit who ranks as the No. 4 recruit overall in Virginia and No. 4 nationally by Rivals … Ranked as the No. 2 recruit from Virginia by ESPN and 65th among their top-100 recruits … Chose Maryland over Indiana and Virginia … Last season at Bishop Ireton in Alexandria, averaged 20.7 points before playing his final season at IMG Academy … One of the top shooters in the country … First Terps since Anthony Cowan, Jr., to commit to Maryland from the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference … Plays for New World AAU program … Life-long Maryland fan who has attended games since childhood.

Willard on Kaiser – “Jamie is not only an unbelievable shooter, but as talented of a player that I’ve ever recruited. He has unbelievable toughness, a great feel for the game, and is by far one of the best shooters that I will have coached.”

Four-star recruit who ranks as the No. 3 recruit overall in Maryland and No. 85 nationally by Rivals… The combo guard chose Maryland over Georgetown, UCF, and Penn State … Plays on Team Durant on the AAU circuit … Led St. Frances to a 35-8 record last year and a No. 2 ranking in The Baltimore Sun high school poll … Will join current Terp Julian Reese who also played at St. Frances … Pronounced “la-mowth”.

Willard on Lamothe – “Jahnathan is one of those players who makes an unbelievable impact on everyone no matter what position he plays on the court. He has the ability to shoot, drive, and become an elite defender.”

Since being named head coach, Willard and his staff have made a renewed focus on strong local recruiting in the talent-rich DMV area. In his first class heading into the 2022-23 season, Willard added former DeMatha standout Jahmir Young and Don Carey who played at Frederick Douglass as transfers, while signing Noah Batchelor who played at Glenelg.
Reactions: huehueterp

Fact or Fiction: Is Maryland a serious contender for Nyckoles Harbor?

The recruitment of five-star Nyckoles Harbor is part of today's Fact or Fiction with Adam Friedman and we both weighed in on how serious of contenders the Terps are. As I've been saying probably all the way back since July or so, yes, the Terps are serious contenders for Harbor. They will get one of his final official visits and from everything I can gather, the track stuff just isn't the big deal some are making it out to be. YES, track is very important to him. In fact, part of the reason he is likely to wait until the 2nd signing period is because he wants to compete at nationals. That said, multiple sources I've talked to also do not believe a school's track program is going to play much of a factor in where he winds up, as a couple of different people told me, 'you can run and be the best anywhere.'

But NIL is likely to play a factor here and don't think the Terps aren't able to compete. Look at Rakim Jarrett and the recent Under Armour slip speed shoe campaign. Jarrett has been all over the ads and he gifted a pair of the shoes to the entire team. I'm not saying he will for certain end up here, but the Terps are absolutely still a major player and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I'll also add, there's been some talk about where the last visit could be, whether it is Miami or USC, from what I'm hearing, it sounds like his folks aren't too keen on him being that far away from home. Plus Miami has some serious NIL coffers. More at the link below.

STORY

WBB: Frese signs top 10 class

COLLEGE PARK, MD -- The Maryland women's basketball team will welcome a top 10 freshman class in the country next season, head coach Brenda Frese announced Wednesday.

Frese and her staff signed five top recruits that make up the No. 7-ranked class in the country, as ranked by ESPN. Summer Bostock (Toronto, Ontario), Hawa Doumbouya (Bronx, N.Y.), Emily Fisher (Libertyville, Ill.), Riley Nelson (Clarksburg, Md.) and Amiyah Reynolds (South Bend, Ind). make up one of the top classes in the country.

Nelson is ranked No. 17 overall by Blue Star Basketball and No. 18 by ESPN. Reynolds is also a top-50 signee. She is ranked No. 35 overall by Blue Star and No. 43 by ESPN. Fisher is ranked No. 80 by ESPN.

"I can't say enough about how hard our staff, Karen Blair, Lindsey Spann, Kaitlynn Fratz, worked on signing another Top 10 class to our program,” Frese said. “I appreciate their tireless work ethic to make it all come together. This class addresses many of our needs on our roster and will continue to provide depth and versatility to impact our program.”

This is the 16th top 10 recruiting class signed by Frese in her 21 years at Maryland. Frese brought in the top recruiting class in 2016 and 2019 and she signed the nation's No. 2 recruiting class in 2007, 2010 and 2018.

SUMMER BOSTOCK
Guard ● 6-1
Toronto, Ontario ● King’s Christian Collegiate

Bostock averaged 27.3 points, 11 rebounds, four steals and three assists this past season. She averaged 7.7 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game for Canada in the 2021 FIBA Under-16 Women’s Americas Championship.

Played AAU with Become One.

Frese on Bostock: “Summer is extremely skilled and can make big shots. She is a scorer with deep range. She has a high motor so her intensity will allow her to impact both ends of the floor. She has a tireless work ethic that loves to get in the gym.”

Bostock on Maryland: “I love the family environment. I want to win in a competitive environment.”

Zelimir Stevanovic (Kings Christian) on Bostock: “When I first saw Summer in seventh or eighth grade, I thought she was the most unique basketball talent I’ve seen in years. She has an amazing work ethic and dedication, which is hard to find in girls basketball. When you get to know her, you quickly realize she has a special personality. She is very observant and smart. She is really a great kid off the court. She’s a WNBA talent.”

HAWA DOUMBOUYA
Post ● 6-5
Bronx, N.Y. ● Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Doumbouya plays at Our Lady of Mount Carmel, where she averaged 9 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 blocks last season. She helped her team win the IAAM B conference Championship in 2022.

Doumbouya played AAU with Team Thrill and Team Takeover.

Frese on Doumbouya: “Hawa gives us a much needed post presence inside at 6-5. She has good hands and will be able to help us in the paint defensively. She has a huge upside and it will be exciting to watch her grow and develop with us.”

Doumbouya on Maryland: “I loved the environment and how I instantly felt the love and family.”

Ron James (Team Takeover) on Doumbouya: “Hawa is a young lady that every coach would love to coach. She always thinks about others first, sometimes to a fault. Hawa wants to be coached and has a deep understanding of the discipline it takes to be great on and off the court. She is the type of person and teammate that everyone gravitates to but don’t let that huge smile fool you. At 6-5 ,she can snatch down a ferocious rebound or set a mean screen to get her teammates open.

Hawa's decision to attend Maryland was simple...staying home and playing in front of her support base (family and friends). Hawa was also super excited about Coach Frese and her staff's plan to help her reach or exceed her potential on and off the court.”

EMILY FISHER
Guard ● 6-0
Libertyville, Ill. ● Libertyville High School

Ranked the No. 80 overall recruit by ESPN, Fisher has played three years of varsity at Libertyville so far. As a junior, Fisher was named Conference Player of the Year. That year, she earned 4A First Team All-State, First Team All Conference, First Team All Area honors. In her career so far, she’s averaged 12.8 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists. She was named the Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Week. Fisher picked up nine double-doubles and two triple-doubles as a junior and became the Libertyville High School all-time block leader with 100. She was named an Illinois Gatorade Player of the Year candidate.

Fisher played AAU for the Wolverinas.

Frese on Fisher: “Emily is a versatile wing/forward who will fill many roles on our team. She has the size, skill, IQ and scoring to play any position on the floor. She is also very tough and will bring a strong presence on the glass and on the floor.”

Fisher on Maryland: “I decided to come to Maryland because I knew I found my second home. I also chose Maryland because I am playing to win and Maryland knows how to do that.”

Chris Kipley (Wolverinas) on Fisher: “It’s been an absolute honor to coach Emily and watch her grow up over the past decade. She has always been incredibly mature. That maturity has led to an unselfish style of play where she has always used her incredible court vision to make passes many players would never see. Coupled with her physical strength, Emily has been a standout since the first time she stepped on a court. I think that Emily’s physical capabilities make her an excellent fit for the Maryland basketball program and their style of play.”

RILEY NELSON
Guard ● 6-1
Clarksburg, Md. ● The Bullis School

A five-star recruit, Nelson is the No. 17-ranked incoming freshman overall by Blue Star Basketball and No. 18 by ESPN. She was named the 2022 Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior. She averaged 17.1 points, 9.2 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 2.7 steals and 1.6 blocks per game last season. Nelson earned 4A First Team All-State and First Team All County honors as a junior. She was a Team USA Finalist and led her team to the 2019 and 2022 Regional titles and the 2022 Montgomery County championship. Nelson led her team to a runner-up finish in the 2022 State Championship.

Nelson played AAU for the Fairfax Stars.

Frese on Nelson: “Riley is an extremely versatile player who will be able to defend with her length, rebound and score in a variety of ways. She is athletic so she can get to the rim, pull-up and shoot the 3. She is a high motor player that will impact both ends of the floor.

Nelson on Maryland: “I came to Maryland for the family atmosphere. I really felt like Maryland was going to be my home away from home. Maryland gives me the feeling that I just belong here.”

Aggie McCormick-Dix (Fairfax Stars) on Nelson: “Riley Nelson is not only an exceptional basketball player but an exceptional person. Riley loves Maryland and the staff especially coach Frese. The DMV, including me, are excited to be able to see her in action for the next four years at home.”

AMIYAH REYNOLDS
Point Guard ● 6-0
South Bend, Ind. ● South Bend Washington High School

A four-star recruit, Reynolds is ranked No. 35 overall by Blue Star and No. 43 by ESPN. She averaged 10.0 points, 6.0 assists and 6.0 rebounds per game as a junior. Reynolds earned All-NIC Honorable Mention honors in her first three seasons. She was named to the Indiana Junior All-Star Team and to IBCA’s Supreme 15.

Reynolds played AAU for Michigan Crossover and Legends U.

Frese on Reynolds: “Amiyah, whose sister Mila is here, is a big guard who has tremendous court vision. She led her high school team last season to a state title. She is a skilled play maker with a high IQ and a nice pull-up jumper.”

Reynolds on Maryland: “I love the family atmosphere at Maryland and feel like the coaches really care about me. I enjoy playing with my sister, too!”

Bryce McKey (Legends U) on Reynolds: “Amiyah Reynolds is the epitome of a true floor leader. She will do whatever her team needs from her to win and makes everyone around her better. Amiyah is skilled offensively at all three levels and her length defensively causes problems for opponents. The thing that sets Amiyah apart is her high level basketball IQ. Simply put, Amiyah has won championships at every level and I would expect nothing different from her under the direction of Coach Frese!”

Early hoops signing period begins today

The early hoops signing period kicks off today and all three Terp commits are expected to sign during the early period. This is an impressive group of local guards. I love the shooting ability of Kaiser Jr. and the versatility of Harris-Smith and Lamothe. I also love the fact that there is familiarity among these guys coming in which will hopefully help them on and off the court. The class currently slots at No. 13 in the national team rankings. That could go up if they are able to find and add an impact big or two later in the cycle. We'll have to see how that plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT