ADVERTISEMENT

Student Government and DJ Durkin

terpfanz

Junior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
What a bunch of hypocrites. The SGA is a piece of work. Telling the students to boycott the game in support of McNair.

Nothing is ever going to bring Jordan McNair back. All we can do is honor the young man and try not to let this type of thing to ever happen again.

if anything, the SGA should have rallied the students in support of the players on the team who have to personally deal with what has transpired over the course of the last 4 months.

In regard to DJ Durkin. He unfortunately got convicted by the court of public opinion. The strength and conditioning coach was his guy and his first hire. If anyone knows anything about high profile intercollegiate athletics, it is up to strength and conditioning coaches to motivate by any means necessary to get every player to reach their maximum ability.

While a lot of people might be quick to pass blame on him for pushing McNair too far, there is plenty of blame to go around.

The training staff should have have taken his temperature immediately and treated him accordingly. An ambulance should also have been called sooner. Whose responsibility was this?

Then there is the question as too whether McNair was properly hydrated before participating in the drills. I also wonder what else was in his system. There could be some contributory negligence here.

Does anyone know if an autopsy was ever performed?

Personally, I feel awful for the McNair family because it is never easy losing a child. No one should have to go through this. The only hope is that it can be prevented in the future and The University of Maryland continues to honor his name.

As far as D.J. Durkin is concerned, it was a no win situation for him coming back regardless if he had most of the support of the players or not. The court of public opinion was going to crucify his ass and it is beyond me as to why no one in the know saw the events of this week coming!

Is going to be very difficult for him to go into recruits homes and sell parents on the concept of entrusting their children with him. Other coaches were going to use this to their advantage!

Unfortunately, the decision to let him go was one that had to be made and should have been made weeks, if not months ago!

Going forward it seems like the University of Maryland will have to clean house and hire a whole new staff in an effort to separate themselves from this situation as best as possible.

The sooner a search committee is put together and starts on this process the better!

The University of Maryland, which is a school I graduated from and care about, really dropped the ball many times with this matter! As an outsider looking in, I can only scratch my head in wonder as to who or where leadership at the school is getting advice! At the very least, a public relations firm should have been used to help turn the tide from all the negative press that the school was rightly or wrongly getting instead of sitting idle by and taking all the shots on the chin!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News