ADVERTISEMENT

Sasho Strikes - 2013 class

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Sasho snares not one but two highly regarded recruits out of the state of Ohio (and lets make that under Caleb Porter's nose). Looks like a brother tag team as Alex Crognale and Benjamin Crognale have committed to Maryland. I believe both kids are from Gahana Ohio and they play with the Columbus Crew Club squad. Alex is a defender and I was wondering when Sasho was going to start loading up on the back four. Benjamin is a midfield/defender. A very good start to the 2013 class. This could be a big class.
This post was edited on 9/16 9:47 AM by TMAN

Some color

By CRAIG JAMES
Published: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:43 PM EDT
Text Size
Click image to enlarge

Purchase these or other SNP photos.
SNP photo by Craig James
Gahanna's returning boys soccer letterwinners are (from left): row one-Louis Naiman, Gavin Craig, David Witkoff and Evren Gokcen; row two-Martin Kerscher, Jeremy Fernandes, Alex Crognale and Andrew McClurg.
The 2011 Gahanna Lincoln boys soccer team has a general idea of what is expected of it.

The 2009 Golden Lions won the Division I state championship. In '10, they made it as far as the regional finals before falling 2-1 (two overtimes) to Olentangy Orange, finishing with a 19-1-1 record.

Lincoln also won a seventh straight Ohio Capital Conference title last fall, a school record.

So the current Lions have a little bit of a tradition to uphold.

"It puts them under a little pressure, but hopefully they can handle it," said coach Dwayne Marshall. "We'll see. We're still learning a lot about this group. We have some skill and speed -- speed is going to be our strength. Height is going to be our strength, as well. So I'm kind of excited about the season and what we can do.

"I have faith and confidence that these kids will come through, that they'll be happy about their season."

Gahanna is off and playing without two of its big guns from '10 in midfielder Wil Trapp and forward Chris Davis, who together scored 40 goals. Trapp, now at the University of Akron, was an All-American, as well as Mr. Soccer in Ohio. Davis, at Cincinnati, was second-team All-Ohio.

"Those players, a Wil Trapp and a Chris Davis, they come once in a lifetime," Marshall said. "They've moved on to better things now, and this team is ready to put its own stamp on the Gahanna soccer brand."

That has been evident from the Lions' first two matches, both shutouts. Lincoln knocked off Bexley 2-0 Aug. 29, then demolished Newark 11-0 Aug. 30 in its OCC Ohio Division opener.

The Lions are working with eight returning letterwinners. One is senior captain David Witkoff (midfielder-forward), a second-team All-OCC selection. He started in all of Gahanna's games last season.

"I look for David's leadership, and his skill on the field is just incredible," said Marshall.

Senior Gavin Craig, another captain and an OCC special mention, can also play forward and in the midfield.

"He was a major contributor last year until he got injured in the last regular season game," the coach said. "I'm expecting good things from Gavin. He's a hard worker."

Alex Crognale, a junior and the squad's third captain, is one of the tallest players you'll see on the field, according to the coach.

"Alex has tremendous skill and tactical ability on the field, so he's going to be an excellent leader," he said. "He's going to do some great things."

Senior Andrew McClurg, now the starting goalkeeper, didn't see a lot of varsity time a year ago with Jacob Rice minding the net.

"Andrew has worked hard to get that position, and I expect him to keep it up throughout the season," Marshall said.

Junior Evren Gokcen (midfield) is "one of our hardest-working players in the program, and I expect the same type of work effort on the field," Marshall said. "I'm sure he's going to give it to us."

Three other letterers are seniors. Louis Naiman plays outside mid.

"Louis really came on strong toward the end of the season last year, so I think he's going to be an excellent player for us," the coach said. "I have a lot of confidence in him."

Martin Kerscher, who played last year and can handle the midfield and also play in the back, is expected to be a "big contributor on the team," according to the coach.

Jeremy Fernandes plays up front.

"I'm expecting some good results from Jeremy this year," said Marshall. "He didn't play a lot on the varsity last year, but he's going to see a lot more playing time this year. I know he's going to do well."

The OCC Ohio favorite is -- well, guess who? But Gahanna knows it can't take anyone for granted as it strives for crown No. 8.

"I still expect we're going to take no one lightly," said Marshall. "I know Groveport is going to be better than they were last year, and they were decent last year. Pick Central is on the up and up; Pick North also seems to be our archrival in the league. Grove City has always produced some decent players, so I'm expecting some good things from them.

"I don't think it's going to be an easy league for us. We're going to have to go out and want it to win it, and I think our kids do."

After hosting Lancaster in league play Tuesday, Sept. 6, the Lions play at Orange Thursday, Sept. 8 (7 p.m.), then return home to face Dublin Coffman Saturday, Sept. 10 (7 p.m.).

"I have faith and confidence that these kids will come through, that they'll be happy about their season."

--Dwayne Marshall

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT