ADVERTISEMENT

LookN Back Goin Forward

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Two and half weeks later, a look back at the Lou-ville game. For the 2nd year in a row the snappers take it on the chin in the NCAA tourny and on their home field against the Ville. I sat there in the stands at midfield and I make it a habbit to sit in the visitors side to talk smak with the opposing fans to get their perspective. There were signs early in this game that Maryland was going to be in trouble. Sasho made a decision to go with Keith Cardona , a true frosh , whose going to be a good one in goal. Sasho made that decision a game back. I'm not one to question Sasho but I said "dang this takes some soccer balls to go with a green rook between the pipes". Add more pressure was the back four miseries since the Clemson game. Needless to say loosing Alex Lee 3 games back (in the UNC game...strained quad) caused a big leak in the dyke. Interesting, I was much more upset losing to Michigan in the 2010 quarter final against Michigan. That Maryland team IMO , I thought the terps would win the cup. It didnt happen as they lost to a cinderella Michigan team. Did you know the Michigan U head coach just got canned as the Wolverines won only 5 games this year. Hard to believe that Maryland lost to the Wolverines. I consider that one of the biggest upsets in the last decade of college soccer when Maryland with Billy Cortez, Doug Rodkey and Matt Kassell played for Sasho. That loss was a tough loss but this year's loss didn't bother me as much as the Ville was a much stronger physical team than this Maryland's team. Maryland had some breakdowns but that's to be expected when you have an Ethan White bolting for the pros, along with an Alex Lee playing hurt, and Helge Leikvang playing central back which is out of position for Helge. Maryland surely could of used the nations number 1 recruit, Alex Shinsky, but the gods of soccer said otherwise as Alex Shinsky was hurt a lot.

With this disappointment, though there are positives with a excellent 5 man class coming in for 2012 class going forward. Of course the big crystal ball is this..."whose coming back". We do know Casey Townsend is a senior and that's a big loss. Maryland also Loses Alex Lee. If your a Maryland fan then you have to expect some of the young talent like Sunny Jane, John Stertzer, London Woodberry to think about an early career in the MLS. Lets hope the kids stay and keep the foundation together for another run to the cup.

For the 2012 class, 3 of the kids that Sasho has recruited are in a hs all american soccer game tomorrow. Tkosho Tshuma a forward/mid from Episcopal is playing , along with Dakota Edwards a back defender from NY, and Donovan Fraser a sneeky forward from NY as well. Sasho also pulled in Dakota Neidermeir from Maryland whose a goalie. Lets not forget Mike Ambrose who might be the best left back in the high school ranks.

The biggest need I see is Sasho to land a striker either in the 2012 class or the 2013 class. I've heard from my peeps that he's sitting on a comittment and if this comes true then the offensive help is on the way.

Part II tomorrow...

Tman.

Good to see you back and posting TMAN. As usual great info. I'm with you in hoping that there are no defections. The one I worry about the most is Sunny, I well remember you toting that young man. I'm still hoping to see him and Metzger playing together.

Can't wait to see " Sasho's Cheeseburger " . Someone mentioned the name Christiano Francois from New Jersey as a player to watch for.

Hoping Sasho's cheeseburger gets delivered before Keith's football one does. That other board is turning into a real three ring circus.

Hoping your Holiday will be a good one. By the way, The Baltimore Sun releases there All Metro teams Sunday. Have a look on line, if you can. Due to the Sun's no policy concerning how many times a person can look at their site for free I am no longer able to cut and paste. This in itself is amazing, in that, I am home delivery subscriber and still they want me to pay to look on line. Look out, Now I'm started.

TMAN, Poly -- great posts!

TMAN, a reall good analysis. But I gotta ask, when you mention the list of guys who might bolt early to the MLS, I honestly wonder if they are ready? London Woodberry may have an MLS body, be he still has a way to go, IMHO. And to me, while I have always liked Stertzer and feel he had a breakout year this year, I don't see a guy going pro based on one good college season.

Don't get me wrong: I am never one to hold people back if they are ready to go, and after all the years I have been around here, I am well adjusted to the idea of people leaving, but I just don't see it with this year's underclassmen. Further, if they do stay around and with the incoming class that you mentioned, I feel like Maryland can do some major damage in 2012. I mean, now that UNC has won the NT, that will be less people talking about Maryland, but the Terps are going to have their usual depth. And indeed, if we have better luck with health than we did this year -- especially on that back line -- then it is a different team all around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT