ADVERTISEMENT

OMG! Men's Soccer CLOBBERS V-Tech

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
I didn't see the game, but reading the media release is thrilling enough. That was not a rout, that was a beat down. Obviously V-Tech has had its struggles: their record is now 3-7-1, 1-2-1 ACC but everybody in this league always has at least a few good players, good coaches, etc. We just don't see blow-outs like this one. Matt Kassel, Casey Townsend, Paul Torres, Jason Herrick (2 goals), and Patrick Mullins all scored, plus an own-goal to make it seven.

Interesting quote last night, as I was watching the FSC's broadcast of Wofford vs. Davidson, and the commentator Keith Tabatznik, the former long-time Georgetown coach, announced the Maryland result and said "Maryland is going to be knocking on the door of Akron." I hope he is right because I watched Akron's demolition of Tulsa a couple of weeks ago and the Zips are for real - a bunch of big, fast, tough defenders, and a goal keeper that looks like he plays Aussie Rules Football. You just don't score on those guys. But I have to feel that if anybody can score on them it would be Maryland. In any case, after Akron beat Tulsa, they gave up a 2-2 draw to Ohio State, so anything can happen.

Meanwhile, trying to maintain good sportsmanship, I am tempted to send a large jar of Ibuprofen to Blacksburg.

The whole key to the Maryland season going forward is the backline. Taylor Kemp and London Woodberry must remind themselves that they're not Brazillians and resist the urge of going forward which can lead to counter attacks. That's the key.

This Maryland team just needs to focus and take it one game at a time. Next stop Lehigh.

t.

Greetings TMAN. I noticed ten subs played for the Terps last night, but no Fernandez. He has to be red shirting.

Also, did you see my post on the main board about the LADY TERPS beating #2 Boston College. Interesting that over 60 people looked at the post, but no comments. The main board is so hung up on football and men's basketball that they totally ignore the programs that are generating the most steam when it comes to winning National Titles.

Yea..Marquez has to be RS year. No sign of him.

I do follow the women's team a little and Pensky has the program going.

Maryland played very well last night. Sasho has the team getting ready for the November run. That Virginia game down there is big but winning the ACC tourny is even bigger for a number 1 seed. They can't loose another game IMO during the reg season if they're going to get a #1 seed.

t.

Women's Soccer getting it done; Brian Pensky; ESPN article on Terps

Poly, anytime I post anything on a women's team it is a guarantee that some wheezing old fart is going to post some sexist, ignorant remarks about women's sports in general -- like one guy who recently said that all these sports should be shut down so we can use the money to expand the upper deck of Byrd Stadium. That is what you are dealing with. They won't change until they croak. Some of them are already gumming their food, spewing about those damned women because they don't have anything else to vent about expect the economy, Obama, and their ex-wife's divorce lawyer. I have been dealing with this ---t for more than 20 years I have been a sports reporter here, first for WMUC and then TT. I can remember when all women athletes were supposedly "dykes", when the field hockey team used to have to dress for games in a truck because they didn't have a locker room, and --- oh I can start spewing about all the old problems, some of which have gone away, some have not. But that is the way of things.

Brian Pensky has been doing a superb job. His recruiting really started to take off three years ago, but it takes that long in college sports before you get some idea of whether the talent will pan out. Has it ever! Check this article from ESPN's Graham Hays about Maryland Women's Soccer:

This post was edited on 10/13 11:10 AM by Fekula

ESPN on Maryland Women's Soccer

that's a great line!

"they must remind themselves they are not Brazilians" LOL.

Kinda describes the US National Team in a nutshell. In the meantime, I am not worried about the Maryland men. Sasho usually finds a way to sort things out, starting from mid-season when he has figured out the problems. Me thinks time is on their side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT