ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Poly - Md soccer still kicking

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Md handles Akron , the defending national championship, "again" in a 3-1 bashing over the weekend. Zips score a meaningless goal late in the game. Spring game, doesn't count but to do that on the NC's turf does speak of confidence with this group come September. The ? of course on Md, is how does the keeper perform come fall. It might come down to how solidified is the back four. The goalie is only sooo good with what's in front of him.

And if I'm not mistaken, Akron has "never" beaten Md whether in a live game or a spring exhibition.

t.
This post was edited on 4/4 8:47 AM by TMAN

I looked at the game box score, and noticed that the young man from McDonogh ( Fernandez ) got zero game time. Is he prohibited from playing because he is red shirting ???

http://www.umterps.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/md/sports/m-soccer/auto_pdf/akronboxspring11

Not certain. Wydner Saint Cyr (who RS) played. Jeremy Raley who RS last year also did not play. Guess we'll find out in September.

I'm expecting Sasho to pick up at least one more recruit in the 2012 class. Could be two more pick ups but can't see Sasho going past 5 pickups in the class.

t.

I would expect significant revisions in the starting lineups when fall comes -- not wholesale changes, but some, given that we don't know how or whether the incoming freshman will figure, nor can injuries and the healing process be anticipated.

This is a time of year for experimentation; they won't have the luxury in the fall. Example: as much as I have respected the work ethic of John Stertzer, does he really beat out Sunny Jane for a starting job in the fall? Or does Stertzer go as listed in the midfield and some other combination is used up front?

Plus, the way the lineup is listed on the pdf, Maryland is playing in a 4-5-1 with Townsend listed as the lone forward. Is Cirovski really going to play that way in September? I dunno.

Less likely, it is not unheard of that players go pro over the summer -- Robbie Rogers' decision to go to the Netherlands came right at the opening week of training camp. This of course, applies only to those headed to Europe, not the MLS and I somehow doubt Casey Towsend, Kaoru Forbess, or Taylor Kemp are headed to Europe, but stranger things have happened.

So much can happen between now and then, I really can't put much stock in any of this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT