ADVERTISEMENT

Tinkering for results

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Sasho's gang played their 4th exhibition game yesterday against Saint Johns on a glorious Sunday. With about 100 fans out there in Ludwig on a sun drenched field, the fans got a chance to see some experimenting by the veteran coach. This is the time of year to , kicking the tires, changing the oil, lookn under the hood of this Maryland engine for the 2012 Falls season. Saint John's team is no unfamiliar foe as they've played Maryland during the regular season a number of times and also have played the terps in several NCAA match up's. For these games there's no pressure on these teams but a time to tweak things , try different combinations and get a positive result without anybody getting hurt. For Maryland mission accomplished.

Sasho rolled out most of the expected starters. He didn't start Jordan Cyrus up front with Mullins but I would not read too much into that for the fall. It's a chemistry class and the professor is still mixing the potion. What I've seen so far Sasho is teaming Kyle Roach with London Woodberry inside (back four) and I like that combination. Now keep in mind the freshmen (with the exception of Donovan Fraser) have not arrived and Sasho has two studs coming in for the back line in Dakota Edwards and Mike Ambrose so things could change. But what I saw of the combination of Roach and Woodberry , they’re combo play in front of Keith Carodona (Md goalie) looks promising.

The final score was 4-2 in Maryland fav but this was a very deceiving score considering in the first half Maryland was getting schooled by two players for Saint Johns (Andre Vargas from Venezuela and Nick Matthews from Pennsylvania). Maryland had fits with these two players in the first half. Vargas especially caught Maryland off guard as he's shifty, very creative with the ball and has good speed. Saint Johns scored on a pk (hand ball) and a midfield mishap by Maryland (give away)and the score was 2-0 for most of the first half. Maryland had a number of chances as well and were unlucky but scored a goal late in the first half made it Saint John’s 2 ? 1 and the momentum was slowly changing towards Maryland

For individual players…..Here’s what caught my eye.

Sasho made two substitutions in the 2nd half and put Alex Shinsky and Mithias Etchia in the midfield. At least for this game those two players turned the midfield around. I started to see some connecting balls and some energy in the midfield Etechia was all over the player and the Jeb Stuart transplant showed something to me today. This was the first time I got to see this kid in live action for double digit minutes. He's a possession player who has good speed (not great) and in time could be a very good play maker for Maryland. One game doesn't make a season and we'll see how things shape up in the Fall but Sasho has another tool in the shed for the ACC with Etichia if somebody should get hurt. He gives Sasho some fresh legs for sure that can push the attack forward.

As for Alex Shinsky well it was nice to see him on the field. He scored a goal being in the right place at the right time to tie the game. He's a player maker and has good vision. He lets the game come to him and doesn't force things. He looks about the same to me size wise. He's gets minutes for sure in the fall if he can stay healthy which has been the problem.

Marquez Fernandez got in the 2nd half and played very well inside. Looks "much more confident" out there compared to when I saw him last year. He adds depth to the back line for Sasho which has been the chink in the armor the last 2 years (IMO).

I have to mention Jake Pace. He came to Maryland more renown as a football player and wrestler but this 6-2 210 pound forward adds some physicality to the Maryland lineup. He's all hustle and puts constant pressure on the opponents back line when the try to advance the ball. He's a guy I've seen on the Big Ten teams (soccer) in the past where these players play with an edge and knock people around. Some times during the last 2 years I've thought Maryland line up was too "nice" where I hadn't seen a physicality to the group. With Pace and Roach (he's tough as well) , things are changing for Maryland. When Maryland lost to Louisville this past year , I thought that was a key to last years NCAA loss. The Cardinals were more physical. These two players will help Maryland with that aspect.

In the second half Sasho had London Woodberry playing a wide wing and the kid looked good there. Simply a ‘tweak’ during the spring season. I expect Woodbery to be in the back four leading the group.

Wydner Saint Cyr looked solid at right back. All the kid has to do is play within himself . He doesn’t have to make the spectacular play or get tricky. That’s when he gets into trouble.

Have to mention Taylor Kemp. If that kid isn't a first team All America well I haven't seen one then. IMO, he's a drop dead 1st round pick in the MLS draft coming up and Maryland is fortunate to of hanged on to him this long. His runs up the left side reminds me of the Brazilians (Roberto Carlos, Danny Aviles). He’s the best left back in the College game for 2012.

Tman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT