ADVERTISEMENT

Metro Challenge 60

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Checked out some of the action at the Metro Challenge 60 today at DeMatha. A lot of good young talent once again in the DMV.

Have to admit, I think I might have been most impressed with DeMatha shooting guard Justin Moore. He looks stronger and more explosive every time out and while he started a bit cold from deep in the game I watched, he caught fire and probably hit like 4 or 5 straight threes with about as pure a stroke as you are going to see.

One kid who really surprised me was Gonzaga 2020 6-foot-7 wing Myles Stute. This kid has good size, decent handles, can score at all three levels and threw down a nasty windmill dunk which was probably the highlight dunk of the event. Obviously Turgeon has seen him and is aware, but I could see this kid absolutely blowing up this spring running with Takeover's 16s.

PVI 2019 PG Anthony Harris, who recently picked up a Terps offer, was his usual self. Strong handles, aggressively attacking the basket and knocking down the occasional three. He does a nice job of pushing tempo and likes to really get up and down the court.

One intriguing prospect that I wasn't very familiar with coming in was Riverdale Baptist 2019 big man Josaphat Bilau. The 6-foot-10 Parisian is long and athletic, can really run the floor and showed off a nice skill set. Having come over from France not long ago and playing at Riverdale Baptist, I think he's flown a bit under the radar, but I'm guessing that won't be the case for much longer.

Woody Newton, the 2020 wing forward who just picked up a Terps offer, really showed off his ability to handle the rock and run the floor. He didn't do a great job of finishing in the game I watched, but he was getting to the line and he's got a good looking stroke. High, high ceiling with Newton who is gonna run with Team Thrill on the Under Armour circuit. He really seems to like Maryland, too.

Finally, one other kid I was impressed with was Maret forward EJ Jarvis. The 6-foot-7 big actually played for Takeover's loaded 16U team last season but was injured most of the spring/summer and rarely played. He also took a back seat to Iowa's Luka Garza last year. He's got a pretty advanced game and seems to really have a high IQ. He earned early offers last year from Virginia Tech and GW but it seems like his recruitment has been kind of stagnant of late. But with him healthy now and playing on the EYBL circuit this spring/summer, I expect him to fully blow up soon and start earning more offers. He's a smart kid that comes from a smart family. Playing for Chuck Driesell, I'm sure his coach will make sure Turgeon keeps tabs on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News