ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland WBB Home Loss to a BIG Team Worst in Years

Loss at home 90-67 to unranked BIG Nebraska. And that after beating Notre Dame at their home a day or so ago. Plus Notre Dame knocks off UConn today. Weird stuff for sure. Will be a long year. And what I read in the Post...Brenda is not a happy camper. Calls out specific players that they need to add to the mix - especially Abby Myers. Anyway, the second half was a particular disaster. Meanwhile Reese at LSU keeps chugging along. Brenda still holding at 599 wins. Besides Shyanne and Miller, not sure where they will get help from.
Reactions: terp john

Terps to face NC State in Duke’s Mayo Bowl

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The University of Maryland football team will make its 29th all-time bowl appearance when it meets NC State in the 2022 Duke’s Mayo Bowl on December 30 at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The game is scheduled for a Noon kickoff and will be televised nationally on ESPN.

“We’re thrilled to be selected to play in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl,” said Maryland Head Coach Michael Locksley. “Earning back-to-back bowl berths is another significant step for our program and I’m also excited for our seniors to have another chance to play in a big-time game. I’m also happy that our fans will be able to drive down and represent us as we take on a former ACC rival.”

Maryland will be making its second consecutive bowl appearance after defeating Virginia Tech, 54-10, in the 2021 Pinstripe Bowl. The Terps concluded the 2022 regular season with a 7-5 overall record. Maryland ranks third in the Big Ten in passing offense (259.3 yards per game) and fourth in the league in scoring offense (29.2 points per game).

The Terps are led by quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa, who ranks second in the Big Ten in completions and completion percentage (68.6), and third in passing yards. Tagovailoa has rewritten Maryland's record books, as he's now the program leader in career touchdown passes (50), career passing yards (7,658), total offense (7,843) and 300-yard passing games (12).

“We are thrilled to welcome these two teams and their fans to Charlotte. It is our goal to be the most fan and player friendly bowl game and we look forward to having a game and bowl week that will be a celebration of the Terps, Wolfpack and mayonnaise,” said Danny Morrison, executive director of CSF. “Our team, Duke’s Mayo, and our partners have been planning all year and we know that it will be an amazing experience for all involved.”

Maryland and North Carolina State are dead even in their 70 meetings all-time, standing at 33-33-4. The Terps and Wolfpack met annually when Maryland was in the ACC, with the Terps winning the last meeting in 2013, a 41-21 win in Raleigh in the Terps final conference game as a member of the ACC. This will be the first postseason meeting between the two programs as they have only played at a neutral site twice, in 1917 and 1921.

For more information on Maryland's bowl game and to purchase tickets, visit Maryland Football Bowl Central.

About the Duke’s Mayo Bowl: The Duke’s Mayo Bowl, which is owned and operated by the Charlotte Sports Foundation (CSF), is entering its 21st year and will welcome its 1,000,000 fan in attendance. Additionally, the game has reached nearly 60 million households, and produced an economic impact of close to 300 million dollars since its start in 2001. This is the third year with Carolinas-founded Duke’s Mayonnaise as the title sponsor. The partnership with Duke’s Mayonnaise, a staple in southern recipes for over 100 years, also includes the Duke’s Mayo Classic which featured N.C. A&T and NC Central this past September.

Confirmed: Terps/NCSU in Mayo…says

Tweet from Brett McMurphy of Action Network

Fri, Dec 30
12:00
ESPN

NCSU
8-4
4-4 ACC
#25 in final regular season AP poll today

Their OC Tim Beck was named new HC at Coastal Carolina today

Conference losses:
at Clemson
at Syracuse
vs BC
at Louisville

As of their last game, a win in 2 OT at UNC, NCSU was 1 of 3 teams to allow 30 points or less in every game this season. Streak stretches to 14 games going back to last season, their longest since 18 games from ‘79-‘81.

14th in nation (out of 131 teams) in points allowed per game at 19.4

Terps receiver depth will be tested as no:
-WR Jarrett 40-471-4
-WR Copeland 26-376-2
-WR Demus 22-233-1
-TE Dippre 30-314-3

Lia’s downfield targets for this game will mostly be:
-WR’s J. Jones, Felton, Smith and Knotts
-TE Dyches

Bowl destination

With it now looking like Ohio State will get the final playoff spot due to USC's loss, it looks like the Terps are likely headed to Charlotte for the Duke's Mayo Bowl. It was real touch and go there for a while, as it seems the Rose Bowl actually preferred PSU due to fans traveling better. But if Ohio State had been slotted into the Rose Bowl, PSU wouldn't have been an option for the Orange Bowl and it would have bumped everyone else down a slot. But with OSU getting into the playoffs, it has pretty much eliminated the Quick Lane and the Terps are back to being the favorite for the Duke's Mayo Bowl where they will play an ACC opponent.

4 Bowl predictions this a.m. say Terps to…

Mayo Bowl in Charlotte.
USA Today, 247 and Action Network all 3 have Terps vs NC State (makes sense since bowl being in NC they want 1 local draw like last year when UNC played in it) while Sporting News says Mayo vs FSU. There were 2 Pinstripe picks - vs Syracuse on Yahoo, vs Pitt on Pro Football Network, CBS still had Guaranteed vs Oklahoma. We’ll find out officially around noon (might be leaked earlier) but certainly trending strongly to Mayo vs NCST as of this morning.

***Illinois Game Thread***

We're about 20 minutes from tipoff between the Terps and Illini in College Park. Huge top-25 matchup as this is the first conference game for both teams. This will almost certainly be the Terps' first real test of the season as the Illini can play multiple styles and have some depth inside where the Terps have none. But as we know, the Terps have looked unbelievably good so far this season despite their lack of depth by pushing tempo, taking quick open looks and pressuring on defense. Should be a good one!

Transfer portal suicide watch

My god! We love to tell ourselves what a great fan base we are, but I swear, I've never been around so many little bitches as on this board. The portal is here - get over it.
1. Right now, it's guys going into the portal, and guys declaring for the draft
2. Maybe you wait and see what comes our way through the portal
3. I'd love to see a breakdown of our guys in the portal , where they were this year in the 2 deep and actual playing time, and how much eligibility they have left. I would bet once that got laid out, many of you might stop losing your minds

I can also tell you this - the way some of you act, no way would I ever want to be in a fire fight with you. Most of you would just curl up in the corner and stick your thumbs in your mouths right from the jump.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT