ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. Did Illinois just get screwed by the refs

The last and winning drive by Michigan. 4th and 3 and receiver runs a blatantly obvious pick and blocks two DBs allowing catch for first down. Questionable defensive PI gives them a chunk of yards. Then they review a called catch on the field in which the replay clearly shows the tip of the football hitting the ground and pushing the ball further into the receiver’s hands. Bottom line, UM wins on an easy FG. They really want UM and OSU in the playoffs.

Merriman to host 20th annual ‘Lights On’ Foundation coat drive on Saturday

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Former University of Maryland football standout and NFL All-Pro, Shawne Merriman, will hold his annual "Lights On" Foundation Coat Drive leading up to Saturday’s Maryland-Rutgers football game at SECU Stadium.

The coat drive, now in its 20th year, will benefit the homeless and United States military veterans. This year’s donation recipients will include Helping Up Mission serving Maryland’s homeless population and MCVET (Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training) supporting our nation’s veterans. Both organizations are dedicated to assisting the most vulnerable populations in Maryland.

“Reaching 20 years of collecting coats for the less fortunate is a huge accomplishment and I couldn't be happier to continue to work with The University of Maryland as we make a collective impact in the Maryland area,” says Merriman. “The coat drive has always been special to me because I know how it feels to not have a coat during Maryland’s brutally cold winter weather. To commemorate 20 years of providing warmth to our community, I want to set the bar high and bring in a record number of donations.”

Volunteers will be on hand to collect gently used coats, hats, scarves and other cold weather gear at designated entrances of SECU Stadium starting at 10:30 a.m. Collection will end at 2 p.m.

Collection bins will be set up at Gates I, F and C.

Initiated while still a student at Maryland, Merriman's Lights On Foundation has collected more than 38,000 coats over the past 19 years to benefit communities in the local Maryland and DC areas as well as those affected by past disasters such as Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and most recently during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Merriman's Lights On Foundation is dedicated to improving the quality of life for youth and to help the homeless. Merriman donates time, money and other resources throughout the country by increasing opportunities for children to lead healthy and fulfilling lives through his foundation. By building corporate partnerships within the community, Merriman is able to provide financial assistance to projects focusing primarily on helping the homeless and children in need.

VIDEO: Rutgers HC Greg Schiano previews Maryland game

Hey guys! Rich Schnyderite here, publisher of The Knight Report aka the Rutgers-Rivals site. Just wanted to drop by and post our video / transcript from Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano's press conference today.

There is only a couple of Maryland questions / answers in there, so ENJOY!

Login to view embedded media

***Miami Game Thread***

We're about 15 minutes from tipoff between the Terps and Miami Hurricanes up in Conn. in the championship game of the Basketball HoF Tip-Off. A lot like Saint Louis with Yuri Collins yesterday, slowing down Isaiah Wong for Miami will be the key today. He's the guy that makes that offense go.

Usual starters today for the Terps:
Jahmir Young
Don Carey
Hakim Hart
Donta Scott
Julian Reese

For Miami:
Isaiah Wong
Nijel Pack
Jordan Miller
Wooga Poplar
Norchad Omier

Willard says postgame...

On teams struggling shooting the three against Maryland....Guys are working hard and understand what we want to do defensively. They are older guys and all big-time players. And when you have older, smarter, big-time guys, they get it quicker than freshmen and it's helping us win games.

On this being a signature win....Says Miami is very good and Coach L is a HoF coach. But we aren't worried about signature wins, we still have a long ways to go. We are good with great players, but they are still trying to learn this system. We are having turnovers not because of the players, but because of me, I'm putting them in a situation where we haven't practiced something 1,000x. So we will get better.

Don Carey says coach stresses moving the ball side to side so we can get anything we want shooting the ball.

Willard says he's just thinking about how long it is going to take them to get home and how much traffic there is going to be on the beltway because he's hungry. LOL

Says he thinks Jahmir Young and Carey are the best backcourt in the country. Some of those turnovers today were just because it was the first time they have played back to back games together. Thought the guard play was outstanding and they played off the charts.

Young says they are still growing as a team and still working on chemistry, but it's good to get the first five wins and they'll go from there.

Says Julian Reese is getting a lot of confidence. Also says Carey is just scratching the surface of how good he can be. Says you will see him hitting shots at a high clip more and more because he's just starting to get comfortable with what's happening on the floor.

Was surprised by how much bigger we were than Miami. It's not just our big guys doing it with the rebounding, our guards are rebounding at a high level, too. If we can rebound at a high level, we can be pretty good.

I have an easy rule, if you play as hard as you can, I'll let you take any shot you want. So play hard and together and I'll let you do what you want to do. We have unbelievably high character kids and they are bringing it every night and they are being rewarded for their hard work and everything they have put in.

On this team being further along than expected....says he thinks they are ahead defensively, but they are smart basketball players which has really helped on defense. And they are learning that as the ball gets side to side more and more on offense, we can be really good on that end, too.

***Ohio State Game Thread***

We're about 15 minutes from kickoff between the Terps and Buckeyes.

The big news heading into this one is that Mason Lunsford is expected to start today at left guard after missing the past couple of games due to concussion protocol. Really no way to sugar coat it, the offensive line has been a disaster with him out of the lineup. Hopefully the offense is able to get back to playing like they did early in the season with Lusnford back and guys moving back to their more natural spots.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT