ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup Predictions

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
OK, it all starts on Friday. I have seen a few predictions made in the media including the following; my own bold predictions appear at the bottom where they probably belong:

- Beckett's World Cup Preview has Spain winning the title and England, Argentina, & Brazil as the other semi-finalists.

- a Canadian site, canoe.ca, compiled these predictions from international sports writers:

Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun columnist:
WINNER: Spain
RUNNER-UP: Brazil
THIRD PLACE: Argentina
DARKHORSE TEAM: Ivory Coast
POISED TO DISAPPOINT: Portugal
GOLDEN BOOT: Lionel Messi, Argentina
PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT: Xavi, Spain

Morris Dalla Costa, London Free Press columnist:
WINNER: Brazil
RUNNER-UP: Spain
THIRD PLACE: France
DARKHORSE TEAM: Chile
GOLDEN BOOT: David Villa, Spain
PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT: Maicon, Brazil

James Lawton, QMI Agency soccer correspondent (The Independent, England):
WINNER: Argentina
THIRD PLACE: Netherlands
DARKHORSE TEAM: Italy
POISED TO DISAPPOINT: Spain
GOLDEN BOOT: Carlos Tevez, Argentina
PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT: Lionel Messi, Argentina

Gareth Wheeler, Toronto Sun columnist & Sun TV sportscaster:
WINNER: Spain
RUNNER-UP: England
DARKHORSE TEAM: Serbia
POISED TO DISAPPOINT: Germany
PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT: Xavi, Spain

Fred Rinne, QMI Agency western corporate editor:
WINNER: Netherlands
RUNNER-UP: Spain
DARKHORSE TEAM: Germany
GOLDEN BOOT: Lionel Messi, Argentina
PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT: David Villa, Spain

Steven Sandor, Toronto Sun columnist & 24 Hours sports editor:
WINNER: Argentina
THIRD PLACE: Spain
DARKHORSE TEAM: United States
PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT: Angel Di Maria, Argentina

My own bold predictions are as follows:

Winner: Argentina
Runner-up: Brazil
3rd place: Spain
I have several darkhorse and disappointment candidates:

Darkhorse teams: Germany (no real stars but look great recently), Uruguay (Forlan & Suarez have improved the Charrua's attack), France (will overcome their poor showing in the qualifiers), Ivory Coast (if Drogba is healthy), Netherlands (if they can overcome injuries including Robben, and if Stekelenburg can replace van der Sar in goal), Ghana (with Boateng & Asamoah)

Poised to Disappoint: the USA. Sorry, I know hope springs eternal but our fans need a clue: WE HAVE NO CONSISTENT GOAL SCORERS! and are too dependent on Altidore w/ bad ankle. Plus, our much injured backline is suspect. Oh yes, I hope ex-Terps Clarence Goodson and Maurice Edu can get it done, but this ain't the ACC or even the MLS, or even Rangers vs. Celtic. Aargh!

Other potential dissapointments include England who depend too much on Rooney. It says here they won't get past 2nd round.

Italy: Buffon and Totti get them to the 2nd round, beyond that....?

Cameroon: depend too much on Eto'o

Golden Boot: Carols Tevez of Argentina
Player of the Tournament: Leonel Messi of Argentina

I think it is Argentina's time -- again. They seem the most complete team of the bunch, with Brazil being a close second based on the usual raw talent, but beyond Kaka, I don't see where the leadership comes from.

All of that means that the world will be shocked as Honduras, Paraguay, Slovenia, and North Korea make the Final Four. LOL!

hahaha i like the italy/germany darkhorse picks

way to go out on a limb guys!

i may be wearing U.S. blinders, but i disagree that we are poised to disappoint. i think that we have a solid line-up (barring gooch's injury) and the goal opportunities will come. dempsey has a knack for finishing a messy situation with a goal, and the buddle/findley duo looks fit and ready to strike. so i hope you are wrong! everything else you posted appears to be on point...can't argue with the powers proving their worth in this tourney

Germany, Italy are darkhorses because

ever since Michael Ballack got injured everyone is writing them off, as if he is the only really good player they have. I don't understand it. Yes, the Germans are younger than usual and they don't have a Klinsman type forward BUT...they have everything else. Plus, after Bayern Munich made their run in the European Championships, one would think there aren't any big secrets here.

Italy gets written off because they are old. Sure, and I wish the USA had old farts like that. We could use some of their "old" defenders right now.

I hope you are right and I am wrong about the USA. Yes, Dempsey can change a game -- the only guy we have that can do that except for maybe Landon Donovan on a good day. I hope for a draw vs. England then we find a way to get past Algeria and Slovenia. At best, it still comes to an end iin the 2nd round and most likely against Germany.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT