ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm hearing on football hire

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Ok, so I've been digging as much as possible trying to get info on the coaching search, decipher what is real and what is not and figure out where things stand. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that outside of those involved in the process, no one really knows for sure.

As for those making the decision, it appears to be a small circle, comprised of Loh, Anderson, Damon Evans, Plank and one or two others. From what I have been hearing from multiple people, the plan was for them to meet at some point this weekend or early next week and talk about those they have vetted and try to really narrow things down so they can have a hire in place as soon as possible. I'm not sure before the end of the month is doable, but by early December.

As for Pep Hamilton, multiple sources have told me that Kevin Anderson flew out to Indy to meet with Hamilton for an informal interview, most likely to gauge interest and see if he could be a fit. But a couple of those same sources don't believe Pep Hamilton will be the guy. I'm told he's on the list, but he's far enough down that they don't think it's likely he'll get the job.

Tom Herman, who I had at the top of the hot board initially appears to be a long shot. Folks close to the program I've talked to seem to have written him off. There has been a lot of talk about Herman and South Carolina, but I think almost all of that talk is coming from the SC side trying to drum up interest in the job. The other name that seems to be mentioned often with the South Carolina job is Kirby Smart, Nick Saban's defensive coordinator at Alabama. Which leads me to Lane Kiffin...

The 'Lane Kiffin is done to Maryland' talk seemed to take on a life of it's own on Friday as I even had people from Knoxville hitting me up during the basketball game telling me they are hearing it's done.

From what I was able to gather, there is some interest in Kiffin on Maryland's side. But multiple sources have said that they don't believe there is anything to this talk that he's done to Maryland. One even telling me 'it's bullsh!t' before I could even finish getting the question out.

In talking to multiple folks in Tuscaloosa, Kiffin is almost certainly going to be handed his walking papers at the end of the season. No one I've talked to down there believes he's going to be Bama's OC next season. But one thing that came up multiple times about the Kiffin talk that didn't make sense to folks was this: Why would Saban allow Kiffin to interview but not Kirby Smart? Smart is in the running for several jobs, Maryland among them from what I'm hearing.

I know many, myself included, seemed to believe that Rich Rodriguez was all but done to Virginia Tech, but I'm hearing Fuente's name more and more with that job. Fuente is one guy I know has been talked about a lot by Maryland fans but from what I can gather, he doesn't have much if any interest in the Maryland job. But I've heard from several sources that he is interested in the Virginia Tech job. So where would that leave Rodriguez? I'm really not sure at this point, but one thing I know for sure is that his people are throwing his name out there for any and every job. I've heard from a source in Tucson that he wants out of Arizona so bad that the AD out there is already working on contingency plans for after his departure. With all of that said, I think his name is one worth keeping an eye on still.

One name I keep hearing more and more is Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien. He's a guy that I was ready to put at the top of the hot board a few weeks back after his second 40-point halftime deficit of the season. Not many NFL coaches can survive a team not even being competitive and appearing to give up. But for now, O'Brien has a job, makes 5 million dolllars a year and is in a great city for his family with a team that has a great defense and young playmakers on offense and could be just a QB away from competing for a Super Bowl title.

My personal thoughts on O'Brien are that he's be a really strong hire. He's got NFL experience, is seen as a QB guru, has already been named Big Ten Coach of the Year and he'd stir up that Penn State rivalry even more. Of course, he's coached at Maryland and he's also shown he has the ability to hold a recruiting class together. The downside, and this seems to go against the timeframe of having someone in place by early Dec., is the fact that if he's not fired in-season, he will be the coach of the Houston Texans until the end of the year. And from what I'm hearing, they just aren't sure they can wait that long.

Mark Richt could be another intriguing name. One of the first names I heard from a trusted source right when Edsall was let go was Jeremy Pruitt. The link being Damon Evans. If Richt were to part ways with Georgia, he would quickly move to the top of many lists. If he were able to bring his staff and some of his recruits with him, he could change the fortunes of some programs overnight.

I know Dan Mullen has been talked about a lot here, but he's one guy that I really just haven't been able to get any real info on. But I'll say this, based on the names mentioned above, one thing we know is this: Maryland seems to be willing to spend to bring in a big name coach, and one that would demand additional spending for a top-notch staff.

Guys like O'Brien, Richt and Mullen would all likely cost north of 4 million a year and would require major investments in their staffs. With just two games left this season, things are going to start picking up here soon. And now you have to add Mizzou to the list openings after Gary Pinkel's announcement that he's retiring at the end of the season.

Ok, if you guys have any questions, ask them here and I'll try to answer them. Obviously, I didn't touch on every name (for example, just remembered that I was told they did vet Reich but he's no longer being considered) so if you have a question about a particular candidate ask away and I'll try to answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News