ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting piece on the state of Maryland basketball

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Just read a very interesting piece on the state of Maryland basketball from The Athletic that I woke up to in my inbox this AM. I'll provide a link so folks can read it. But thought I'd mention a couple of things really stood out to me....

1. Damon Evans says the plan is to raise the remaining 8 mil needed to get started on the basketball practice facility 'by the time the new coach is here.' He added he's very confident the money will be in place in the next month. Also said it will take at least 18 months to get the facility built once construction is started.

2. An anonymous agent that represents multiple high-profile coaches says, 'its a top-10 job and I'll tell you why: proximity to talent.'

3. Finally, I thought Len Elmore's comments about how Turgeon was treated were very telling. “You know, Mark wasn’t treated that badly, and I’m sure he’d be the first to admit it,” Elmore continues. “A lot of it had to do with the person he is. He’s a good guy. He’s a good coach. But at some point in a 10-year period, with the commitment and the resources of the university, if you haven’t gotten closer to the Promised Land than the Sweet 16, then it’s time to change.”

You can read the full story HERE.

I'll add, I've basically heard similar to what the agent said as far as how this job is being perceived. But at the end of the day, some folks are going to have to be willing to make some concessions if Maryland is going to truly make the necessary home run hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News