ADVERTISEMENT

UNC wins Men's Soccer title with 1st year coach....

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
I gotta say, it was an incredible job by a rookie coach, Carlos Samoano, to win it this year. They got it done by a 1-0 score over instate rival Charlotte, on a thumping 25-yard shot by Ben Speas. Granted, Samoano had been an assistant coach in Chapel Hill for nine years and his predecssor, Elmar Bolowich didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare with seniors like defender Matt Hedges and mid Kirk Urso, juniors Enzo Martinez and Billy Schuler, etc. BUT...it is still remarkable for a rookie coach to get it done like this. At least we can say it is another example of how tough the ACC is as a soccer conference.

It was even tougher on the women's side with 3 of 4 teams in the Final Four being from the ACC: Duke, Wake Forest, and Florida State, although Stanford finally won the whole thing after making the title game three years in a row.

With Samonano, UNC will be tough. But your right that Elmer didn't leave the cubboard bare. On sheer physical talent, I thought all along they had the best talent in the country. Add to the fact that this guy can recruit. Some UNC observes have noted on this guy though that if your not a starter, your not gettting off the bench as this guy does NOT like to substitute.

Still I don't think Sasho and the kids fear the heels. Maryland has done VERY WELL against the Heels in the past and even tied them being a man down this year. Sasho needs to have some luck on injuries next year and snare a star striker (IMO) and the terps will be right there...

Yep, a whole lotta good recruiters our there. Porter at Akron another, but then again, were weren't talking about Charlotte at the beginning of the year and I don't remember anyone who did, but they made the FF and it wasn't all on tactics and organization. We are getting to the point where there is enough talent out there that people are falling through the cracks and helping non-traditional powers.

Agree on that. The days of Bruce Arena (4 straight NC's) are gone.

t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT