ADVERTISEMENT

Turgeon on Tomaic

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Just got a release from the school on the addition of Tomaic with quotes from Turgeon as well as a couple of scouting reports from some guys who have seen him play.

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Head coach Mark Turgeon and the University of Maryland men’s basketball program has announced the addition of Joshua Tomaic (Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain) to the Terps’ 2016 signing class.

Tomaic, a 6-9 forward who played at Canarias Basketball Academy, has a 7-1 wingspan. He averaged 19 points and 12 rebounds per game for the CBA U18 team that placed fifth in the Spanish National Championships. He will become the first player born in the Canary Islands to play for a Top-25 NCAA Division I men’s basketball program.

“Joshua is a skilled and versatile forward with the ability to score inside and outside, while also possessing great feel and basketball IQ,” said Turgeon. “His great length helps him to be a good rebounder and effective defender. Joshua’s rapid development while at CBA is no surprise, as they are known for their excellent player development program. He has excelled there due to his extraordinary work ethic and high character. He's especially intriguing due to being young in relation to his recruiting class. We think he has a high ceiling in basketball, and we are eager to help him reach his potential. It's great for us to be able to welcome Joshua and his mom, Lili, to the Maryland Basketball program."

"I'm excited to be going to the University of Maryland,” Tomaic said. “I've followed college basketball for a long time, and I know Maryland is one of the best academic and athletic programs in America. I've seen video of how crazy their fans are at games, and I'm looking forward to playing at the XFINITY Center. Many international players have had success there and I know they are going to help me develop into the student, person, and player I want to become."

Tomaic (pronounced Toe-My-Itch) joins previous signees Anthony Cowan, Kevin Huerter, Micah Thomas and Justin Jackson, as well as graduate transfer L.G. Gill as newcomers on next year’s roster.

What They’re Saying

Jason Hickman - Maxpreps.com:

"Joshua undoubtedly drew the attention of college coaches in Irvine (July, 2015). Like many of the CBA players, he's an unfinished product, but was one of the team's primary ball handlers and moves fluidly for someone that size. He has major potential."

Victor Belinchon - Top Spanish Basketball Youth Scout and Editor with kiaenzona.com

“Undoubtedly, Joshua is one of the great hopes of Spanish basketball and one of the players that has impacted the country in recent years. He is a constant matchup problem. He has very good size and since coming to the Canarias Basketball Academy a couple of years ago, he has not stopped developing his skill level. He is an excellent rebounder and a very difficult player to defend near the basket, where he owns an ample amount of resources to score. Joshua is becoming more regular from long range, his shooting mechanics are exceptional and - thanks to his combination of good ball handling skills and athletic ability - can generate his own shot. He is definitely a unique and exciting prospect.”

Reactions: huehueterp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News