ADVERTISEMENT

The stories behind your screen names

terpaddict

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2001
Newnan, GA
For quite some time, most years anyway, I've started a thread in which we share the origin of our screen names. Even if you've posted in the past, I hope you'll do so again so that many in our group will better understand your relationship to the Terps.

I was born in the Virginia suburbs of DC in 1946, and had little involvement with college sports before we moved to Atlanta in 1962. However, I'm one of the few Maryland fans who has never seen the Terps lose a football game. They beat Penn State in 1961 and Tennessee in the 2002 Peach Bowl.

My first post-college job was in DC in 1968, and I read that Virginia's high school scoring leader, Jim O'Brien, played at my old high school (JEB Stuart). I saw him play many times that year and noticed that he signed with Maryland's new coach in 1969. The next year Lefty signed several more star players, and I adopted the Terps as my team (even though I was back in Atlanta by then).

I married Barbara (who did her grad work in Chapel Hill) in 1976, and it was she who proclaimed I was addicted to Maryland (primarily basketball). Though some might think of it as a "mixed marriage", we've done well and will celebrate forty years together in late July.

And now it's your turn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News