ADVERTISEMENT

The latest Maryland football recruiting scoop ahead of Signing Day

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Well, we are less than 24 hours away now from the start of the early signing period and things are bound to get crazy around these parts with Mike Locksley running the show. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone here that Locks pulled off the biggest shocker in the nation last signing day, flipping Rak Jarrett from LSU. So here is the latest on what I'm hearing...

Terrence Lewis is a bit of an enigma at this point. Maryland and assistant Brian Williams did an excellent job getting into the picture once Gus Malzahn was out at Auburn, as Lewis was almost certainly bound for the Tigers before his firing. The four schools that were being mentioned as possibilities to be one of the three finalists he was originally expected to pick from where Auburn, Florida, Maryland and Tennessee. But Lewis threw everyone for a loop by dropping a top 2 instead of top 3 of just Maryland and Tennessee yesterday. The Terps appear to have done their homework on Lewis and are comfortable adding him to the class. Having just decommitted from Tennessee a couple of weeks ago, it would make sense for folks to reason that Maryland might be in the driver's seat. But Maryland doesn't seem to have the kind of confidence in flipping Lewis they have had recently with some other targets and Tennessee doesn't seem sure of where they stand. That said, this could be a case of Lewis going back to Tennessee due to comfort level and the fact he wants to enroll early. The plan for Lewis is to sign with a school during the early period on Dec. 19 and announce his decision publicly during the (former Army) All-American game. I'm leaning towards Tennessee due to the fact he plans to sign and enroll early, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he picks Maryland.

Unlike Lewis, the intentions of Jennings seem a bit more clear. Jennings has not been expected to sign with Michigan during the early period for some time now, largely due to the uncertainty of Jim Harbaugh's contract situation. The plan seemed to be that Jennings would hold off and sign during the late period. But Maryland assistant Brian Williams has a strong connection with Jennings and his family and has conducted very productive virtual visits with them. Harbaugh finally came out yesterday and publicly stated he has no intentions of going anywhere, but it might be too late as far as holding on to Jennings goes. Maryland has been extremely confident in their ability to flip Jennings for some time and there seems to be that same belief now on the Michigan side that Jennings is all but gone. I don't think this is a done deal yet with Jennings. There are still multiple outcomes here. One is that he simply doesn't sign anywhere and keeps his options open until the late signing period. Another is that he flips to Maryland but holds off on signing until the late period. And finally, it is possible he signs early and enrolls early at Maryland. At this point, I think it is absolutely possible he flips to Maryland tomorrow, signs and enrolls early. I'd go as far as to say that might be the most likely option of the bunch. That said, I still do not believe it is a done deal. But if Williams can pull this off it would be another huge signing day coup.

Folks had asked about Tarvarish Dawson and Phillip O'Brien, both currently committed to Auburn.

As far as Dawson goes, a number of schools reached out. He is no longer signing during the early period and is expected to have a slew of big boys after him up until the late signing period. Among those believed to be in the picture are Florida State, Miami and Clemson. Maryland could decide to get involved here over the next couple of months, but don't look for anything to happen tomorrow.

As for O'Brien, a number of schools reached out here, as well, and I was told Maryland is among that group. But in his case, he is still planning on signing during the early period and enroll early. Again, just like Lewis, with the plan still to sign and enroll early, I expect him to stick with Auburn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News