ADVERTISEMENT

Terps land Top 20 recruiting class

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Here's the official release from the school on the signings of Cowan and Huerter with comments from Turgeon, the players' high school and AAU coaches as well as their families:

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Head coach Mark Turgeon and the University Maryland men’s basketball program welcomed guards Anthony Cowan (Bowie, Md.) and Kevin Huerter (Clifton Park, N.Y.) to the Terps for the class of 2016.

“We are excited to welcome a pair of very talented and skilled players to our basketball program,” Turgeon said. “Anthony and Kevin are student-athletes with strong character who possess a tremendous work ethic and will fit in very well with our team on and off the court.”

Since arriving in College Park, Turgeon has signed five consecutive nationally ranked recruiting classes, including a top-20 recruiting class in 2016.

“Mark Turgeon and his staff have put together a very nice looking two-man class that ranks among the top-20 recruiting classes in the country,” said Eric Bossi, national basketball analyst, Rivals.com. “Four-star prospects Anthony Cowan and Kevin Huerter give Turgeon two guards that are proven winners who will be able to contribute immediately.”

A four-star recruit, Cowan is ranked nationally as the 46th best player in the 2016 class according to Rivals.com.

The 5-foot-11 point guard played high school basketball at St. John’s College High School and as a junior led St. John’s to a win over Gonzaga to capture the D.C. State Athletic Association title. Cowan scored 21 points in the championship game, and was later named the D.C. State Athletic Association Player of the Year.

Cowan played AAU basketball with the DC Thunder the past two seasons.

Following his junior season, Cowan was honored as the DMV Elite Player of the Year, and was also named Washington Post First Team All-Met and First Team All-Washington Catholic Athletic Conference.

An ESPN four-star recruit, Huerter was ranked as the 40th best player in the 2016 class.

The 6-foot-6 combo guard from Clifton Park, NY., played high school basketball at Shenendehowa Central High School.

In his junior season, he helped Shenendehowa secure its first state title since 1987 by scoring 25 points in the championship game. For his efforts, Huerter was named the NYSPHSAA Championship Most Valuable Player. Huerter was also named the 2015 Suburban Council Player of the Year.

Huerter also played with the AAU program Albany City Rocks this past summer. His father, Tom, led Siena University to its first ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 1989.

ANTHONY COWAN (5-11, 170, PG, Bowie, MD)

A four-star recruit ranked nationally as the 46th best player in the 2016 class according to Rivals.com … played high school basketball at St. John’s College High School and as a junior led St. John’s to a win over Gonzaga to capture the D.C. State Athletic Association title with 21 points in the game … named the 2015 D.C. State Athletic Association Player of the Year … First Team Washington Post All-Metro as a junior … averaged 20 points, 6 assists and 3 steals as a junior … a three-time All-WCAC selection … teammates with current Maryland guard Melo Trimble in AAU basketball (DC Premier) … also played with AAU program DC Thunder the past two seasons … selected to participate in the Under Armour All-American camp as a junior … father, Anthony, earned his master’s degree at Maryland … uncle, Thomas Skeeter, graduated from Maryland … grandmother, Valencia Skeeter, is a professor in the African American Studies program at the University of Maryland.

Turgeon on Cowan: “Anthony and his family have a strong and deep connection to the University of Maryland. Anthony is a traditional point guard who does an outstanding job running his team, has the instincts and ability to make his teammates better, and is an exceptional on-the-ball defender.”

Cowan: “Maryland immediately felt like home. For many years I pictured myself in a Maryland uniform and Coach Turgeon made my dream come true. I’m excited to play for Coach Turgeon – he was a great guard in college and I know he can help develop me into an outstanding point guard. I have a great relationship with Coach Turgeon and Coach Clark, and they have been very supportive during this entire process.”

Anthony Cowan, Sr. (Father): “I am really proud of Anthony. This is a culmination of a lot of hard work both in the classroom and on the basketball court. For Anthony to be a part of a program that has helped our family get to where we are now is just simply a blessing. Coach Turgeon strikes me as very transparent and forthcoming. My wife, Traci, and I felt really good sending our son to this program because Coach Turgeon is very honest and possesses outstanding qualities.”

Traci Cowan (Mother): “I am happy that Anthony is staying at home and playing at the University of Maryland. I am proud of what he has accomplished. Our family is obviously familiar with the campus and an opportunity at a school like Maryland can lead to wonderful things in his life.Coach Turgeon is a great role model and will be a great father figure for Anthony. He comes across very nurturing, but tough, which is a perfect combination.”

Sean McAloon on Cowan (Coach, St. John’s College High School): “Anthony is a fierce competitor, extremely focused and a great teammate. Mark Turgeon did an outstanding job selling his vision about Anthony’s role. Anthony is excited about becoming a part of the University of Maryland basketball program.”

Zach Suber on Cowan (Coach, DC Thunder): “Anthony is deceptively very quick and he is an outstanding competitor who has the ability to make his teammates better. He’s a tough competitor, works extremely hard and is a very humble young man.I think it’s a great fit for Anthony to play for Coach Turgeon, who played the point guard position. He will demand a lot from Anthony, but this experience will make him a better player. It’s also extremely helpful that he will have the opportunity to play with Melo Trimble, his former AAU teammate.”

KEVIN HUERTER (6-6, 180, G, Clifton Park, N.Y.)

Rated a four-star recruit by ESPN.com and ranked as the 40th best player in the 2016 class … listed as the top shooting guard in the state of New York by Scout.com … played high school basketball at Shenendehowa Central High School … as a junior, helped Shenendehowa secure its first state title since 1987 by scoring 25 points in the championship game en route to being named the NYSPHSAA Championship Most Valuable Player … also named a second team all-state selection and 2015 Suburban Council Player of the Year as a junior … named Saratogian player of the year (2014-15) … also named first-team Saratogian all-star as a sophomore … tabbed NewsChannel 13 high school basketball all-star during his sophomore and junior seasons … named a top-10 Capital Region boys high school basketball player … played with the AAU program Albany City Rocks in summer of 2015 … led his AAU team to the prestigious Nike Peach Jam Tournament … also invited to the Nike Skills Academy … invited to the UA Elite Camp … father, Tom, led Siena University to its first ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 1989 … helped lead the 14th-seeded Saints to an 80-78 upset win over the third-seeded Stanford Cardinal in the first round in the NCAA Tournament in 1989.

Turgeon on Huerter: “Kevin has great size for a guard and possesses tremendous versatility. He has great point guard vision and instincts and also has the ability to stretch the floor with his outstanding shooting range. Kevin is young for his class and his development for someone so young is just outstanding. We have extremely high expectations for Kevin and are excited for his bright future at Maryland.”

Huerter: “Maryland made an impression on me right from the start. I really liked the coaching staff, the visit on campus was terrific and the current team really made it feel like family. I’m interested in pursuing a degree in business and Maryland is a top-notch academic institution with a great business school. I feel like a degree from Maryland will open up many doors and opportunities beyond the sport of basketball. Coach Turgeon values family and his values are very similar to me and my family. He is very honest and direct with me and has a great vision for my development as a player.”

Tom Huerter (Father): “We hit a home run with Kevin choosing the University of Maryland. It is an exceptional school with a beautiful campus and it has an impressive on-campus facility. I really believe Kevin is going to enjoy his college experience at Maryland. As parents, we really believe in Coach Turgeon and his values. At Maryland, Kevin will not only develop into a better player, but an even better person.”

Tony Dzikas (Coach, Shenendehowa Central High School): “Kevin is a special player. He has great length, basketball skills and court vision. What sets Kevin apart from other players is his basketball intelligence. He makes every player around him better. I’m very excited about Kevin’s decision to attend Maryland. I was impressed with the coaching staff from the moment I met them. I believe Kevin made the right choice and I know he will have a wonderful four years at Maryland.”

Jim Hart on Huerter (Coach, City Rocks): “I admire Kevin’s poise and his ability to thrive during pressure situations. He’s long, active, athletic and also has great size for a guard. Kevin led our team in scoring, assists, steals and three-point percentage and he can really fill out a stat sheet. He is very personable and an extremely likable young man. Kevin’s a great fit for Maryland and the sky is the limit with his potential.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News