ADVERTISEMENT

Stix in latest NBA mock draft

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
A post-trade deadline mock draft from Sam Vecenie has Stix going No. 20 to OKC. I think this analysis is pretty spot on. I also think he can climb a bit higher if he continues to play the way he has of late and scouts like what they see at the combine with his measurables. LINK to full mock draft.

20. Oklahoma City Thunder
Jalen Smith | 6-10 forward/center | 20 years old, sophomore | Maryland

I’m not sure there is a player who has been better in the last month of college basketball than Stix. Smith is now averaging 15.1 points, 10.2 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, while shooting at a 53.6/39.1/74.7 shooting split. If you limit it to just his last eight games, Smith is at 18.6 points and 11.8 rebounds. He’s been an absolute monster inside, has improved as a rim protector, throws down monstrously athletic dunks, and is genuinely starting to hit shots from 3. And in that latter vein, I fully buy him as a shooter now. The ball comes out of his hand cleanly.

Now, there are a couple of concerns. First, is he something of a tweener — between the 4 and the 5? I buy him more as a rim protector than I did earlier this season, but I’m unclear if that’s going to hold up at the next level. Additionally, he’s also quite stiff, which could lead to him being a bit of a liability in space. He needs to get with a trainer and figure out how to get bend throughout his lower half and torso. But right now, I fully buy into him as a real prospect worth taking in the top-20. He’s turned the corner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News