ADVERTISEMENT

State of Maryland Basketball Under Turgeon

TERPFAN11

Junior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I matriculated with McMillen and Elmore in 1970 so I have been an avid fan of Maryland Hoops for 49 years. Turgeon is honest, hard working, a good and tireless recruiter and his payers enjoy playing for him. He is not a top echelon basketball coach. He will never win a BIG regular season or Championship and he will get us to the Dance more often than not but never get past the Sweet 16 (which he has never done in all his coaching years with any team). I also believe that the fans are not supporting the team like they use to. The only sold out game this year was Michigan (not even highly ranked Virginia sold out) and on most nights in December when we play a cupcake schedule the Xfinity Center is, at best, 50% full (fans in seats not tickets sold). We lament that we are not Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. but those teams sell out night in and night out even against lesser opponents. Should Turge go? I say a resounding NO. Why? Two reasons: I doubt we could find anyone who would be better (look at University of Illinois which was ranked even with us as a basketball school over the last 50 years and see how they hit bottom after Henson and Weber were let go). Second, I have NO confidence in Loh/Evans to conduct a search along with the fact that we are no longer, in my estimation, a "Top 10" job/destination. I hope I am wrong but after 8 years I think this is the best we can hope for. I will still root for my beloved Terps like I always have and hope that the stars align one year that we can get back to one more Natty.

Reactions: terpaddict
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News