ADVERTISEMENT

Release on the coaching position changes

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Maryland basketball head coach Mark Turgeon announced today that assistant coach Dustin Clark is leaving his position at Maryland after seven years to pursue an opportunity back in his native Texas. Additionally, Matt Brady has been promoted to assistant coach after serving one season as director of player personnel and Mark Bialkoski will now serve as director of basketball operations after three seasons as the team’s video coordinator.

“I’ve spent more than a decade working with Dustin and I’ve had the great fortune of watching him develop into an outstanding coach,” said Turgeon. “Dustin’s loyalty, work ethic and integrity have set him apart and made him an integral member of my staffs at both Texas A&M and Maryland. Dustin has played a vital role in recruiting and player development. As I look back at the success we’ve had, it’s been Dustin who has made an indelible mark each step of the way. When Dustin shared with me this opportunity, I knew it aligned with his entrepreneurial spirit and his desire to be close to his family. Ann and I are excited for him and wish him all the best, and I look forward to continuing our friendship.”

During his seven seasons with the program, Clark helped lead Maryland to three NCAA Tournament appearances and three 24-plus regular season-win seasons. Maryland advanced to its first Sweet 16 in 13 seasons in 2015-16 during Clark’s tenure, where the Terps captured 27 wins. In his second season as an assistant coach in 2014-15, Clark helped guide Maryland to a school record 26 wins during the program’s inaugural Big Ten season. He previously served as Maryland’s director of basketball operations during his first two seasons at College Park.

As an assistant with the Terps, Clark has played a major role in Maryland securing six straight Top-25 recruiting classes, including a pair of Top 10 classes (2014 and 2016). Clark took a lead role in the recruitment of All-Big Ten performers Kevin Huerter, Anthony Cowan Jr. and Bruno Fernando in addition to four-star 2018 recruit Aaron Wiggins.

Additionally, Clark played a pivotal role in recruiting graduate transfer Rasheed Sulaimon, who joined the Terps in his final collegiate season and made an immediate impact in College Park, averaging 11.3 points and 3.5 assists per game in 2015-16.

“Working for Coach Turgeon and coaching at the University of Maryland has been nothing short of a dream come true,” said Clark. “I have poured every ounce of my time, energy and attention into my coaching career over the past 12 years. However, my desire to be more present and available for my family, combined with a unique and rare opportunity to join a family business in the Dallas area, necessitates this career change. I am forever grateful to Coach Turgeon and Ann for their trust and belief in me and for their unwavering support. The day that Coach Turgeon asked me to join his staff at Maryland is a day I will always remember.

"Working with our student-athletes on a daily basis to try to push them to be the best version of themselves has been an absolute blast. The best part of coaching are the special relationships that are developed as a result of battling together and going through the rigors of a reason.

"I have felt unspeakable pride everyday over the last seven years wearing Maryland on my chest. This is a special place that loves basketball. The passion our fans have for Maryland basketball, our players, and our recruiting makes this one of the best places in America to play and coach. The future of this program is bright and I look forward to being in the XFINITY Center as a fan and contributing to what I believe is one of the absolute best home court advantages in all of college basketball.”

Brady will now serve as an assistant coach in his second year in College Park after joining the staff for the 2016-17 season. Brady, who has nearly 30 years of experience as a coach at the Division I level, including 12 as a head coach, came to Maryland after serving as an assistant coach at La Salle in 2015-16.

“I’ve really enjoyed having Matt on our staff the past year,” said Turgeon. “Matt has built great relationships with our student-athletes, and I know he’ll thrive in this new role. He is an accomplished coach, strong recruiter and has a great understanding of the game. His basketball acumen and head coaching experience is certainly beneficial to have on the bench, as well as his established success in player development.”

Prior to La Salle, Brady was the head coach at James Madison for eight seasons, racking up 139 wins, including four seasons with 20 or more victories. In 2013, he led the Dukes to a CAA Championship and an NCAA Tournament bid. He also guided the Dukes to three additional postseason appearances and the 2015 CAA regular season title.

Prior to leading the program at James Madison, Brady was the head coach at Marist for four seasons from 2004-08 where compiled a 73-50 record with the Red Foxes and improved their win total during each of his first three seasons with the team. Assistant coach Bino Ranson worked under Brady as an assistant during his tenure at Marist.

A 1987 Siena graduate and a native of Haddon Heights, N.J., Brady was a Division I assistant coach for 17 seasons at Rhode Island (1987-89), Wagner (1989-93) and Saint Joseph's (1993-04).

“I had a great experience working with Coach Turgeon for the past year,” said Brady. “I’m thrilled to step into this new role, and look forward to working with a talented team and staff this season. My family and I are excited to be a part of the Maryland basketball family.”

Mark Bialkoski will now serve as director of basketball operations after three seasons as the team’s video coordinator. Bialkoski assumes the post after former director of operations Nima Omidvar accepted an assistant coaching position at the University of South Alabama.

“Mark is very deserving of this promotion, as he’s been a great addition to our staff and program over the past three years,” said Turgeon. “He’s a tireless worker who is very committed to our team, and will continue to play a major role in our day-to-day activities. Mark has a promising future ahead of him in this business, and we’re excited to reward him for his dedication and commitment to Maryland basketball.”

Bialkoski has been an integral member of Turgeon’s staff in three seasons coordinating video needs of the program while directing the production of visual media communications. In 2016-17, Maryland finished with a 24-9 record, an impressive 11-2 mark away from XFINITY Center and its third consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament. In his first season at Maryland, the Terps won 27 games, finished No. 12 in the USA Today Coaches Poll and reached the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2003. Bialkoski previously served as the Director of Operations at the University of Charlotte.

“I’m very excited to continue my tenure with Maryland basketball,” said Bialkoski. “I’m proud to be a part of this program, and very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Coach Turgeon, this staff and our student-athletes.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News