ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: A few notes...

RyanSnyder

TSR Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Nov 2, 2013
I was able to catch up with contacts last night to talk about a few things. I figured I'd post some notes this morning. If you guys have any additional questions then, we can make this a chat thread as well. I do have a few errands to run this afternoon, but I will try to answer any questions that you all have.

This Upcoming Weekend

It looks as if Maryland will be hosting the majority of their local commitments and a few uncommitted prospects on Saturday. As of right now, LB Keith Simms and WR Marcus Simms are the two, non-Maryland commits, that I feel confident will be in attendance. I have also spoken with DeMatha OL Terrance Davis, but as of last night, he's still uncertain. Ath. Trevon Diggs is another prospect that I'm watching, but as of last night, wasn't 100% set to attend.

As for the event itself, it'll start around 2 PM and it's basically just a meet and greet. It doesn't involve much with football. It's about getting the committed players together, plus a few others, and just enjoying themselves. They'll eat food - I believe it's catered - and they'll play corn hole and other games. It's just an opportunity for everyone to get together and enjoy their time together before the season really gets going here next week.

Below are the committed prospects that I know will be in attendance. I also know that DL Jeffery Pooler, DB Tyrone Hill and DE Joey Fisher cannot make the trip. Pooler lives too far to make the trip, Hill has a scrimmage on Saturday and Fisher is currently on vacation with his family.

OL Michael Clark
RB Lorenzo Harrison
QB Dwayne Haskins Jr.
LB Keandre Jones
Ath. Silas Kelly
Ath. Parnell Motley
DB Travon Stott
Ath. Darryl Turner
DB Mike Viti

The event should last until roughly 6 PM, but there isn't a set end time. If everyone is enjoying themselves, this could go into the night.

One thing I have to also note is that I have a wedding Saturday and it doesn't star until 4 PM. One of my Rivals coworkers is getting married, so I will be away. So, if you don't hear from me Saturday night, that's why.

If there is breaking news, someone will have something up, but as I posted earlier in the week, Keith Simms continues to say that he has no plans to make a decision this early. He wants to visit Oregon first. As for Marcus Simms, he's been quiet, but I think it's pretty clear that he has interest in what Maryland has been doing, so we'll just have to see what happens.

LB RahShaun Smith

Smith officially backed out of his commitment to Clemson on Thursday. As of right now, he has two official visits set in stone, to LSU, Oct. 17, and Auburn, Nov. 14. He also said that he plans to take two more official visits to Miami and Clemson at some point, but he doesn't have those dates set quite yet.

I think Maryland should receive that fifth official visit, especially since he's no longer local and is now at IMG Academy. I also think his relationship with Cory Robinson has the Terps sitting pretty here. Auburn will probably prove to be Maryland's top competitor, and I'm also not writing off Clemson yet, but I do believe the Terps sit in an excellent position currently.

From talking to contacts then, I know the staff is targeting the Oct. 3, game against Michigan as the date that they'd like for Smith to take his official visit to College Park. Again, nothing is set in stone right now, but there has been discussions about him coming up that weekend.

It's also important to note that Smith will be an early enrollee, so he will have this all wrapped up by late-November, early-December.

DE Terrell Hall

I spoke with a few people in regards to St. John's DE Terrell Hall this week and for the most part, I'm not feeling it in regards to Maryland. He's told me on a few occasions that he came to The Big Show for a good workout more than anything else and as of now, I have no reason to not take his word on that.

However, the main thing to remember here is that he's just really high on Alabama. He visited Tuscaloosa twice this summer and that's the main reason he backed out of his commitment to Ohio State.

Now, all that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Maryland gets Hall on campus this season, but he's definitely infatuated with the big-names in college football. Alabama is also making him a priority, too. Defensive end remains one of their main targets, so until something changes, I just find it hard to believe that Hall will end up anywhere else.

QB Artur Sitkowski

I spoke with the top 2018 quarterback earlier this week and he confirmed that Maryland is the one and only visit that he currently has planned for the upcoming season. That visit will take place on Oct. 3, for the game against Michigan.

That Michigan game is going to be a huge weekend. However, with Sitkowski, Maryland made an excellent decision to get in the door early here. Despite being a freshman, Sitkowski is already really into the whole recruiting scene. He's calling Maryland regularly, probably once every week or two. He's mainly speaking with Dudzinski, but he has spoken with Locksley on a few occasions.

I was able to watch this young man throw 3x since the spring and I've been more and more impressed every time. Maryland's decision to offer early could allow them to be a serious competitor, too. Both Rutgers and Maryland are miles ahead of everyone else from a relationship perspective.

Reactions: dbaguy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News