ADVERTISEMENT

Potential hoops assistant candidates

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Ok, so UCF assistant Kevin Norris has been discussed here extensively, but here are a few other names.

Brenden Straughn - Longtime Team Takeover and (Greenbelt) Eleanor Roosevelt assistant who spent a couple of years at Loyola in Baltimore before landing at his current spot as an assistant at St. Joe’s. He’s a young guy and very well respected in local AAU circles. Have confirmed with a source that Straughn is in the mix.

Bruce Shingler - Longtime DC Assault coach who spent several years at Towson before his current stint at South Carolina under Frank Martin. He was in Columbia for their Final Four run. Haven’t been able to confirm, but sounds like he’s also squarely in the mix.

Kevin Norris - His name continues to come up, but based on some of what I’m hearing, I’m just not sure how viable a candidate he is. He is currently Dawkins’ top assistant, making good money, living in an area where your money goes much further. You would likely have to offer a significant raise and something like an associate head coaching title. Given the reason Ranson left, that seems unlikely.

Finally, as I mentioned in another thread, I think both Chris Cheeks and Scott Spinelli, formerly of Boston College, could also be possibilities. Cheeks, like Shingler, spent time with DC Assault, he’s also a DC native and spent time at Delaware before landing at BC. Spinelli should need no introduction.

One other name I’ve heard mentioned is Sean McAloon down at IMG. But while there’s a bit of smoke, doesn’t seem to be any fire. He coached Ant and Reese Mona at St. John’s and coached in central Va. before that, but he’s got a great gig going down there.

Duane Simpkins, Mike Pegues both not happening. Tony Skinn another one who, based on some of the criteria I’ve heard mentioned would have made a ton of sense, just took a gig at Ohio St. and isn’t happening.

Straughn and Shingler both seem like real possibilities. Both relatively young, have local DC AAU ties and both coached at Baltimore Under Armour schools. Knowing both personally, I think both would be solid hires.

As for a time frame, not expecting any interviews to take place until after the holiday weekend. But things should move quickly after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News