ADVERTISEMENT

Potential 2022 hoops target

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
I'm hearing that 2023 big man Tafara Gapare is going to reclass back to 2022 and it sounds like the Terps have a very good chance of adding him to next year's roster. Gapare, a native of New Zealand, originally committed to GW a couple of summers ago as a member of the 2022 class. He's currently a 2023 prospect and runs with Team Melo on the EYBL circuit. He's really started to show just how good he can be this spring and has absolutely blown up of late. I was hearing that he was blowing up to the point he might just stay 2023 and see if he couldn't land some blue blood offers, but it sounds as if they like the current group of P5 schools in pursuit enough they are ready to end his recruitment and for him to enroll at a school this summer.

The schools in the mix include the Terps, Illinois, Syracuse, DePaul and UConn. It sounds like the Terps and DePaul might have an edge on the rest of the group right now. He took an official visit to DePaul earlier this spring.

At 6-foot-10, Gapare would add some much needed size and skill to the Terps frontcourt. He's shown he can be an elite rim protector and shot blocker this spring with his length and has shown flashes of an extremely high ceiling. That said, I don't believe he is someone you would pencil into the starting lineup and his game is more of a faceup game than that of a space eater inside. Basically a game similar to Reese offensively but more of a rim protector on the defensive end. Basically, he'd likely be a solid piece next season and has superstar potential down the road.

Haven't been told this is a done deal, but the fact that DePaul seems to be the biggest competition, you certainly have to feel good and hope for the best. It sounds like a decision should be coming within the week, likely after the weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News