ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Good News on Doug Rodkey

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
OK, an extremely reliable source tells me Maryland has applied for an additional year of eligibility for senior midfielder Doug Rodkey based on hardship. Rodkey already had an injury redshirt year so has to apply via the hardship route. Rodkey was injured very early in the season and therefor did not play enough games to have burned this year.

I honestly don't know what is involved in this process but the source sounded optimistic and is in a position to know. Says the application just went in this week and can take up to a month. I assume Christmas dinner will probably have to be digested before they get to this case. In any case, if this works out, it is huge for Maryland. Getting back one of the best holding midfielders and playmakers in the country with an industrial strength work ethic and real leadership skills, would be a major coup....if it happens. Keep your fingers crossed.
This post was edited on 12/10 2:33 PM by Fekula

Thanks Mike... this indeed would be "huge" if Rodkey comes back.

No shame on this season at all. Sasho's finest coaching job with a very very young team. If they don't lose too many guys going pro and what I've heard on the recruits coming in, Maryland will be "very strong" next year.

t.

Rodkey & the departing assistants

I tend to agree as I don't think my source would have uttered a word if there was not a better than 50/50 chance.

Me thinks that D1A men's soccer is going the way of men's hoops in that the teams most likely to take home the hardware are the ones that have seniors. In the ACC that experience factor is huge. There is just so much talent but not enough guys who stay around long enough. Rodkey is key, no pun intended. If all our super sophomores stay around, Sasho really has something next year. Hell, he had something this year despite all the injuries and he gets knocked out of the tournament by the eventual national champion. An awesome job by him. Can't wait until the spring friendlies.

In the meantime, he says goodbye to two longtime assistants in the same week: Russell Payne heads to West Point while Rob Vartughian gets an asst. job at the new MLS franchise, the Philadelphia Union. A terrific opportunity for both of them and obviously well deserved. Sad to see them go, but one think I am NOT worried about is Sasho being able to hire quality assistants. The line for those jobs will stretch around the Comcast Center.
This post was edited on 12/18 11:41 AM by Fekula

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT