ADVERTISEMENT

Poly - Clemson game

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
I attend the Clemson game last night. First half was a jewel. Kids played great with a 2-0 lead at half. Clemson, with a new head coach is rebuilding and they played a defensive front (I think 5 mids) in the first half. Some observations on the current state affairs.

The Positives:

a) Nobody can say if this Maryland team will win the NC, but I'd be curious to hear if Sasho would say this squad is the "deepest" he's ever had. He's got numbers off the bench with kids that can play and he plays the bench.

b) Patrick Mullins and Sunny Jane are probably the best two freshmen in the country NOT starting for a college team. Both kids will play on the next leve. Sunny Jane gets his third goal last night (first score of the night for the terps). Sasho brings him off the bench to spell Doug Rodkey.

c) One of the keys (not the final key) is the play of Karou Forbess. He needs to be hot in tourny time with Cassel getting a lot of attention from the opposition. He's a kid that needs to exert his will on the opposition more often. A good player.

D) Paul Torres, Billy Cortes know their roles and are fun to Watch. John Stertzer gives them another long range cross hair shooter outside the box. A smart kid whom seems to be in the right place at the right time.

E) The way Maryland plays is a breath of fresh air to soccer. Last night's game was packed for lower level Clemson team(who showed some spunk)

F) The atmospheres out there in Ludwig is fun and has to be one of the best venue's in the country.

CONCERNS....

A) The most dangerous position is 2-0 lead. Maryland took the foot off the defensive peddel last night and it cost them as Clemson went with 2 strikers and hit Maryland with hay makers to tie it up. Jason Harrick came through big though his game goal. Harrick is a worker and is the guts of the team.

B) Taylor Kemp and London Woodbery. Both very talented kids and are the most offensive minded outside backs (as a pair) that Sasho has ever had. However, sometimes they think they're Brazilian and they're going forward a wee deep too much which allows Maryland vulnerable to counter attacks with Ethan White and Alex Lee trying to hold the fort.

Going forward, Maryland's back four will make or break their tourny runs in the ACC and the NCAA tournament.

t.
This post was edited on 10/18 8:16 AM by TMAN
This post was edited on 10/18 8:19 AM by TMAN

Hey TMAN ... Really interested about your point regarding Forbess. If I am not mistaken he was one of the top 2 or 3 players in the country coming out of high school, but it seems like he has been injury prone most of his career at Maryland.

One player I noticed that you did not comment on was Casey Townsend. You would think that with all of that talent surrounding him he would be more productive. The box score only shows he played 40 minutes, is he hurting.

Townsend isn't hurting and actually he's playing quite well. He had a couple of shots against Clemson that just missed and quite frankly Maryland should of put at least 3 more goals up against Clemson.

One other kid to keep an eye on and whom I like is a LOT is the Norweigan Helge Leikvang whose got some size 6-1 180 ,has very good foot skills and plays a very sound holding midfield style. He reminds me of those old Yugoslavia World cup team players in the 80's. Tough tenacious and is agressive. His style is something that I believe the terps need in lineup when they get the lead and I would not be surprised Sasho uses the kid even more.

t.
This post was edited on 10/18 8:20 AM by TMAN

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT