ADVERTISEMENT

OT -- the DC United Follies

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
So! After all the noise about how Ben Olsen was not experienced enough, has learned much but has more to learn, blah blah blah blah...DC United decides to hire him as head coach anyway. What a farce!

Don't ge me wrong. I think Ben Olsen may have been the best man for the job. I actually think DC United stumbled blindly into the right choice for all the wrong reasons. Just read Steve Goff's article in the Post about it yesterday and you get a clear view: the other candidates turned down DC United and it becomes pretty clear why they are not buying what DC is selling.

1) DC United is now turning over coaches the way some restaraunts turn over lunch menus. They ditched poor Curt Onalfo after less than a year and now are obligated to pay him the rest of a guaranteed three year contract, so reports Goff.

2) Because of the above, DC United doesn't have much $$$ left to spend on the next head coach. Oh by the way, DC United is also obligated to pay Kris Kelderman, the asst. coach through next year...more money out the door, if they let him go, although it looks like he will stay: how much of a choice was there?

3) Because of 1 & 2 above, who the hell was going to come here and coach? Goff mentioned that DC United may have gone after Akron's Caleb Porter again. I'd be shocked as hell if they did -- let me correct that: I would be shocked if they did and he even paid attention to it beyond the requirements of common courtesy. I am sure some college coaches (and others) will play nice with the DC United management for the sake of not burning bridges, but really, at this point can anyone take the management seriously?

In a weird sort of way, Olsen may actually have some semblance of job security there. They can't afford to fire him; they could barely afford to hire him in the first place. Management now has egg on their face, their credibility seriously damaged. Plus, Olsen is there partially because he was the loyal dog who spent what, 12 years there as a player? Some could reasonably ask whether DC United deserves that loyalty. Ten years ago, yes, when they were the class of the league. Now? To this we have come. The brutal fact proven over the last week is that DC United needs Olsen at least as much if not more than he needs them.

Bottom line: now that DC United has fumbled and stumbled their way into this, they MUST give Ben Olsen the full support he deserves. They must give him time and a free hand to build the program. He is going to need to hit the MLS Draft and the free agent market; he has to build around young players like Andy Najar, Chris Pontius, Conor Shanosky, et al, and that is just going to require patience -- a quality the club management has not had in recent years. Now they have no choice.

This post was edited on 11/30 5:34 PM by Fekula

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT