ADVERTISEMENT

On Enfield...

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Spoke to a couple sources on Enfield again today and after today I'm even more convinced he is very likely using Maryland to get even more money out of USC.

One source said he is extremely happy in LA. Mentioned that he has become quite the foodie and can regularly be seen with his wife at new restaurant openings. Also mentioned that his relationship with Compton Magic founder Etop Udo-Ema is about as good of a relationship you will ever find between a college head coach and AAU director. Said he couldn't believe he would jeopardize that pipeline to move back East.

A second source, who again is close to Enfield and in regular contact with him, reiterated that he is extremely happy in LA and does not think he is seriously looking to move back East. When asked specifically about his name continuing to come up recently with regards to the Maryland job, he said that Enfield "just wants what he deserves here."

It is also worth noting, that relationship with Etop and the Magic is huge for Enfield. Beyond just the Mobley brothers, Enfield has landed top 10 NBA Draft pick Onyeka Okungwu, current freshman guard and former four-star, top-75 prospect Malik Thomas and he has current four-star, top-50 forward Kijani Wright committed for next season. He can literally get ANY Compton Magic kid he wants moving forward.

But again, based on what I'm hearing from sources, I do not currently see Enfield ending up here.

I do continue to hear that Kevin Willard is extremely interested and would literally crawl to College Park for the job. I've also noticed things have gone quiet with regards to his old boss Rick Pitino and a possible 'lifetime extension' with Iona after he lost a league game to Greg Paulus. Pitino will now likely have to win the conference tourney to get an NCAA bid. Again, don't care what Zagoria writes, I have a very hard time buying that he's staying at a school where he has to win the conference tourney every year to make the dance. As for Ed Cooley, his name continues to come up, but again, I'm not sure he isn't using the opening to leverage another raise at his current school.

I'll also add, one name I'm curious if maybe Maryland would give a look is Wake Forest's Steve Forbes. Spent a number of years under Pearl at Milwaukee and Tennessee, was with Gregg Marshall during that insane run they had at Wichita, paid his dues at the JUCO level and had a really solid run as the head coach at East Tennessee St., winning the league regular season and tournament titles in 2 out of 5 seasons. And now he has Wake Forest looking good again in his second season down in Winston Salem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News