ADVERTISEMENT

OK TMAN, the titanic clash: Uruguay vs. Paraguay

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
I am actually happy to see this. The idea of a Copa final sin Brazil and Argentina seems like David vs. David with Goliath stuck at home watching on TV. It will be fun. I have Uruguay winning it with Diego Forlan coming up with something brilliant as he often does. I just listened to Bobby McMahon on FSC going on about how boring Paraguay was in the semis vs. Venezuela. Well, I didn't think they were that bad, but the point is well taken. The more creative team, Uruguay, should win it. They also have more experience at this level with last year's WC Final Four and all. Then again, if Paraguay pulls it off, it would be in keeping with this crazy tournament that will live in infamy in Brazil and Argentina, and legend everywhere else.

Hard to believe that Paraguay is in the final. Maybe Xmas comes early for the landlock country.

Wouldn't be surprised that the Brasil head coach is sacked. The Argentina coach may face the noose as well.

t.

Don't cry for me Argentina

OK, so after the World Cup, the Argentine FA decides to be "helpful" to Diego Maradona by telling him he has to replace his assistant coaches, so he quit. Now they are about to sack his replacement. I wonder who will want to take that job?

Re: Don't cry for me Argentina

I don't know but I do know that football group has an "over inflated" opinion of themselves on how important they are on the world football scene. Considering they haven't won a title since the late 80's, they've sort of regressed on the national scene.

t.

Re: Don't cry for me Argentina

Agreed, and I am sure they are hating the fact that the past few WCs have been won by Spain, Italy, France, and worst of all from their standpoint, Brazil. The dominant group -- Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Italy -- are not so dominant anymore. Others can crash the party.

OK, now watching the Copa Final.

Uruguay! Las Charruas Gano! Forlan.....

Well, I guess this wasn't a big surprise albeit I thought Paraguay might give them a better game. Las Charruas got it done and were deserving winners. Uruguay was the most creative attacking squad out there -- significantly better than the mediocre host Argentina and the overrated Brazilians. It says here that Diego Forlan is one of the greatest players of his generation. He led Uruguay to the semi-finals of the World Cup where he was the Golden Ball winner as MVP of the tournament; and then leads Uruguay to the title here, albeit it was his teammate Luis Suarez who was named MVP for the Copa. In America Sur, Lionel Messi gets all the media attention, but what has he won at the national team level? So far, he is a great club player and no more. I couldn't care less about Forlan's club career; when you play for Atletico Madrid there is only so much you can expect.

And now the Argentine FA honcho Grondona is about to sack their coach, Sergio Batista, less than a year after they pulled the flush lever on Diego Maradona. I wonder who is going to take that job next? Apparently someone who only wants temporary employment.

Meanwhile, Forlan and Suarez along with Alvaro Perreira, Diego Perez and the rest, gave us some great soccer to watch. Kudos to Paraguay for managing to survive to the final, but they were overwhelmed once they got there and faced a team that knows how to attack. Too bad that at the age of 32, there may not be much time left for Forlan, but he certainly has seen his career reach a crescendo. All this for a nation that has barely 4 million people. I don't know how the Uruguayans do it, but their neighbors ought to be studying it.

I remember a line from back in the 60's attributed to Uruguayan President Julio Sanguinetti. A reporter asked him why it is that his tiny country of then only 3 million people had so many good futbol players. Sanguinetti reportedly said "I am President of 3 million soccer managers."

Que Bueno!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT