ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Soccer 2010: discuss....

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
OK, by now you may have seen my preseason preview of Men's Soccer. I am very upbeat about their chances at a national title this year, but I am honestly not sure how upbeat I should be. On the one hand, they have most of their starters back; they get an additional year of eligibility for Doug Rodkey, which IMHO was huge; yet another great recruiting year for Cirovski; Casey Townsend is back to full health; Jason Herrick looking to have a bigtime year on offense; one of the best goalies in college in Zac MacMath, etc etc etc. BUT...

Nobody picks Maryland as #1. For all they have going for them, they are "just" #3 in the College Soccer News poll and #6 in the NSCAA. I find myself asking why?

College Soccer News has Akron and UNC in front of Maryland despite the former having graduated some people; this poll is more understandable because that was two of last year's Final Four teams and both have a lot of people back. But the NSCAA poll has Virgina, Wake, and UCLA also ahead of Maryland. Huh? UVA may be defending champion but they lost their midfield leader in Tony Tchani; UCLA had five guys get drafted by the MLS; Wake loses Corben Bone, Ike Opara, and others. So what is up with all that?

I readily grant that there is more talent spread around than ever before; the 9.9 'ship limit has something to do with that; the ongoing development of the youth soccer movement is an obvious factor. But I am still not sure why Maryland isn't ranked a bit higher, especially in the NSCAA poll. I realize this may sound like nitpicking -- much ado about nothing and in any case, the polls tend to radicaly change after the first two weeks.

Bottom line: Terp fans have high expectations, as always, but a national title is far from being a given. This is going to be a tough battle and there is a lot of parity in D1 this year, perhaps moreso than in the past couple of years. I am hopeful but cautious.

Md took Akron apart in the spring match 3-1 and it could of been worst. Md's beaten UNC three straight times. UVA has lost a lot and recently lost three other kids for various reason off the team. I'm with U Mike F.

I saw Md tonight against Saint John's and it was a waxing. See my above post.

I expect nothing less than getting at least to the final four cup.

On preseason's predictions I belive most of the luminaries based their predictions on last years squad and results. They don't look forward.

I go back to where Sasho got big transfers in winning the NC where he welcomed Marc Burch that one year and then Richie Constanzo for the 2nd NC. I know u know but Rodkey is huge and he looked great tonight. I consider him the straw for the drink on this NC drive and have him penciled in as the mystery tranfer for this drive to the cup. And I have to add the name of "Sunny" Jane. He's a dynamo out there. Watch this KID!

t.
This post was edited on 8/22 1:12 PM by TMAN
This post was edited on 8/23 8:34 AM by TMAN

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT