ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Now Has Three National Contenders This Fall

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
I would not have said this two months ago, or even two weeks ago for that matter, but Maryland Women's Soccer has now proven they are a legit candidate for the Final Four and beyond. When you knock off defending national champion UNC and #8 Florida State in the space of four days, you are capable of those heights. The Terps come from behind effort to beat the Seminoles last night at Ludwig Field was tremendous.

Given that #1 Field Hockey just got to the top of the rankings by beating then-#1 UNC; and #3 Men's Soccer continues to do as well as anticipated; we really are on the verge of having something special. Obviously, the likelihood of all three winning national titles is a bit of a reach, but the fact that they are all very much in the hunt is amazing.

I gotta be honest with you -- as the non-rev guy around here, this is the kind of thing I have lived for. I have always seen the potential in so many of our sports -- and at this point it is hardly a surprise what Missy Meharg and Sasho Cirovski can accomplish -- but you can start adding other names to the list. We already added Cathy Reese to that list last spring. And now, Brian Pensky is making tremendous progress with Women's Soccer. I had a sense four years ago that Brian would take the program to another level, but I honestly did not think it would happen this fast, nor did I think it would be two or three levels. But there they are.

And you know what? It is only going to get better. Don't look now but our Volleyball team is 15-8, 6-5 ACC. Put that into context: two years ago, when Tim Horsmon was in his first season, they went 6-26, 2-18 ACC. You will not find many teams in ANY sport that have had that kind of turnaround in the same period of time.

You can look elsewhere -- like Wrestling under Kerry McCoy, to name another -- and the accomplishments being made by our coaches are impressive to say the least. Give Brett Nelligan time at Gymnastics and that program will also be making strides. So much has been done, so much more to look forward to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT