ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland is #8 in College Soccer News Preseason Poll

How in the H is Akron ahead of Maryland? Don't buy it. Short Sale the Zips. They got crushed with guys leaving. And I'm not a big believer in the Louisville Cardinals. Looks like it's wide open for Sasho's group to make a good run. The Back 4 is the key to Maryland and STAYING HEALTHY!. Not too much depth with this Maryland club.

Of course we all know that preseason polls are used for napkins to set down your favorite pint on at the local tavern. Maryland should of been ranked at the # 5 spot. We shall see.

tman.

Terps are #4 in NSCAA poll

And I am just not buying it. The departmental press release said it all: "The high ranking comes regardless of the loss of several key players from the 2010 roster, including current Major League Soccer standouts Zac MacMath, Matt Kassel and Ethan White, as well as last season's leading scorer Jason Herrick, who is currently with the Harrisburg City Islanders of the USL."

The only reason why I can see Maryland in the Top 10 is personnel losses by other schools. I have not yet researched what everybody else has got, but first blush look at the reviews in College Soccer News indicates a lot of squads returning some really good players. Yes, we have good players coming back and Yes yes YES we have good recruits coming in, but the experience factor is significantly down from last year and there is not quite as much depth -- oh they have a full roster but the depth is going to include a lot of freshmen this year. As I have been saying all along, Maryland is Top 10 level quality if and only if they stay healthy. A lot of things have to go right this year. If they stay healthy, if the freshmen are as good as advertise, if they adjust for the losses in personnel from last year, if they follow the plans the coaches set down, then maybe they make a run. Anything less then they struggle.

Re: Terps are #4 in NSCAA poll

A couple of things on some good points you make. One...I'm not a big believer on the senioritis for winning a NC in soccer or any college sport. The good players are not staying for 4 years. We know that. You will need and should have the good college player on your squad but I'll say this, give me the 4 fuzzy check freshman that are sure fire pros and I'll beat the 4 solid not quite pro material college grizzled seniors going against them. I always take talent. Maryland has talent.

I agree I wouldn't put Maryland at #4 either. But we agree on the depth and injury bug. Loosing Torres didn't help for sure and that was a short sale move by the kid. I would luve to hear that's kid's camp explanation on why he left. Getting back to Maryland..t I do believe this club can make a run to the cup. There's enough talent on this team to do that. My 3 key players to step up this for this squad to make me the oracle on their season are: London Woodberry, Sunny Jane, and Karou Forbes. All 3 kids need to step up. Their time has come. Fun starts in 3 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT