ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Fall Camp Notebook -- 8/6

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Just going to do tonight's notebook as a post here on the boards. Not too much to note, but some big potential news. So here goes...

- Once again, we mostly had a chance to just watch the offensive skill players during our brief viewing of practice. As previously mentioned in another post, redshirt junior RB Lorenzo Harrison was carted off the field today with his head held down low like it was not good. Obviously don't want to speculate too much here and I'm sure we'll get an update soon, but would be a tough blow for a kid who was extremely productive and a major part of the RB rotation as a freshman and sophomore before missing almost all of last season.

- After being seen briefly by trainers yesterday, Sean Savoy was once again missing during a portion of drills we were able to watch. He did return later during the session and appeared to be fine. He seems to be fine, but might be worth keeping an eye on.

- Got a pretty good look at the QBs again today. Josh Jackson still appears to be the leader, followed by Legendre and DeSue, with Pigrome and Bortenschlager as the No. 3 and 4 options.
Jackson showed pretty good footwork and again, seems to have the best touch among the group. Legendre looks to have pretty good footwork as well and again, can really spin the ball. Had one really nice deep ball to the sideline.

- We also got a good look again at the WR as they were basically doing drills directly in front of us. Today the one WR that really stood out to me was Isaiah Hazel. He's one of the bigger receivers of the group and he's plenty physical. Went up against Demus in an Oklahoma drill and was easily the more physically dominant of the two. He also made a couple of nice grabs. With Jeshaun Jones going down, don't be surprised if Hazel becomes a major part of the WR rotation once the season starts. He has the size and the tools to make some noise.

- Also got another quick look at the freshman punters again today. Pecorella and Spangler were both booming the ball back and forth to each other a good 50 yards. Legth strength definitely not an issue with either. Like Locksley said, it's going to be about how they both look when the bullets are flying.

- There were a few notable visitors at today's practice. Ryan Leaf, the former No. 1 NFL pick and Chargers QB was at practice today. He's now working for ESPN. I've got a really funny Leaf story from a friend who used to be a manager at the Four Seasons in Jackson Hole, but I should probably keep that to myself. LOL Terps PG Anthony Cowan was also spotted out at practice today. Cowan used to play football growing up and actually played youth ball with some of the guys on the team. As for scouts, the one scout I spotted today was from the New England Patriots. I'm not sure if I mentioned this yesterday, but I spotted scouts from the Rams and Eagles at yesterday's practice.

Finally, and this is a very intriguing one, Ron Zook was spotted at practice walking off the field with Locksley. If you remember, there was some chatter that Zook could join Locksley's staff in some capacity back during the winter. Zook and Locksley are pretty tight and Locks just last week talked about how he got the idea to have media over to his house before the start of camp each year from Zook. In talking to a couple of sources, it sounds like Zook could very well be joining Locksley's staff in a support role, similar to how Al Seamonson did under Durkin. Would be a pretty great addition, though, having a former P5 head coach with NFL experience in a support role. So we'll see how that shakes out here in the coming days.

That's what I've got for today. Sorry this is going up late night, wife goes into the hospital for a procedure tomorrow afternoon and could be having an emergency C section, so got a lot going on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News