ADVERTISEMENT

Locksley says today...

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
We had scrimmage No. 2 of our three allowed scrimmages last weekend. I thought 2 like 1 showed major improvements in all three phases of the game. Offensively, we increased the number of plays. We were able to execute our offense in a bunch of situational areas and our offense showed some explosiveness and some young guys showed some ability to make plays. And most importantly we got out of the second scrimmage healthy. We are on to practice No. 13. But starting Thursday they will break guys up into the two teams for the spring game for the 'steaks and wienies' game. Winners get steak, losers hot dogs.

The spring game is a culmination of things in a real game situation, where as in the first two scrimmages it is more situational. But we want it to be a competitive game and an opportunity to see how guys play under the lights and with fans in the stands. Until we have a full squad, my goal is to get through the spring game healthy and see how guys look in their first live setting since Rutgers. But out of all our practices, I had maybe one where I didn't think we lived up to my expectations, so spring season has been productive.

To sell out the spring game and know there's an excitement to see Maryland football is humbling. Any time people give you their time, they are giving you something important. It also shows the thirst, just what the pandemic has done taking in-person football away, gives you a little more appreciation for getting to see your favorite team live.

Along the O-line, you usually need about 12 guys with a two deep and a couple of other guys that are all able to play. Right now, we still need some time to develop the o-line and it is the hardest position to develop. Right now, I feel like we have 8 guys that are ready and able to help right now and we will continue to develop the rest of the guys and look if we can't maybe add someone along the o-line, too.

Have made some movement with bringing guys over to the running back position who didn't previously play. Tayon Fleet-Davis has done a good job, happy with the things he's done. Isaiah Jacobs has looked good whenever he's been able to go as he gets back 100% healthy and we have some new guys coming in who will help add depth. And the good thing is that you can plug guys in at RB a lot easier than you can at say, o-line.

We tell guys they need to come in with the mindset that they need to be ready to play early. We rotated a lot of new guys along the interior D-line last season and we created some depth with JUCO players last season. But the young guys we have coming in this year we feel have the talent to help early, but it is all about how quickly they can adjust to the speed of the college game. This is definitely one of the most talented d-line groups we have brought in and we have some good pass rushers in this group.

Jaelyn Duncan has really looked good and improved and is showing he's a leader and looking like he's going to be able to play at the next level. But when you talk about the three-year window of guys developing, he's right there and doing a good job.

We look at getting recruits back on campus as a chance to show off our school in a positive light, especially with our new facilities. But the ability to work guys out, especially the young guys who haven't played much or have much tape, getting to work them out will be crucial for us to get them on campus to evaluate them as football players, but more than that, as people and being able to also help them become better players by helping them out.

They will recruit virtually throughout the month of May, just like they would if they will be out on the road next month.

Young guys who have jumped out to Locks: Marcus Flemming, Kyle Long, Branden Jennings, Ty Felton, Cory Coley. Says he expects a bunch of the young guys who have come in early will play next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News