ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Broadus was spotted...

Russ Wood

Oct 12, 2011
Florida
...in Florida Thursday night to watch three-star St. Petersburg HS point guard Tai Stickland (son of Rod Strickland). Tai had 24 points in a class 8A regional quarterfinal win.

Also in the gym I saw the head coach from Rutgers + an assistant (this was the second time in 7 days someone from Rutgers watched Strickland), and an assistant from DePaul (Rod's alma mater). Rod told me that an assistant from SMU was also at the game, but I did not see him. An assistant from UMass was also expected but I did not see him and Rod did not mention UMass to me.

Wisconsin offered Strickland last week and would take his commitment today. Strickland said the Badgers are on him very hard. Wichita State also came down within the past two weeks to see him.

Strickland is a solid point guard who can score at all three levels, is a willing defender and has a high IQ. He also told me that he considers Maryland "home". Strickland even kept his 240 area code cell number.

While these coaches are coming to see Strickland, they are also getting a look at his teammate 2018 combo guard Serrel Smith, who signed with Ole Miss in November. But Rebels head coach Andy Kennedy stepped down this week. Since Smith is currently signed with a school, the coaches that were in the gym did not talk with him or his mom.

I spoke with Smith's mom after the game and she told me that the Ole Miss staff is coming to meet with the family on Sunday in an attempt to convince Smith to stick with Ole Miss. The chances of Smith sticking are slim. Tamika, Smith's mom, told me that they've already checked with the NCAA Eligibility Center to see what requesting a release entails.

I expect Smith to get his release sometime next week. If that happens I would be surprised if Maryland does not get involved with Smith.

Reactions: huehueterp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News