ADVERTISEMENT

Is Turgeon really a great recruiter?

Terpinator

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Frisco, Texas
I keep hearing the idea here that Turg is a lousy coach, great recruiter, but a lousy coach. Well, I’m not so sure. I think he’s only a better than average recruiter and maybe just by a little. Look who we have in the front court. Bruno looks like a keeper. Anyone else? Cheko? He’s pretty bad most of the time. Bender? Come on, he can’t catch or finish. These are both upper class men. Obi is a sub at best. That’s it folks. We have a strong wingman in Jackson but he seems to be AWOL so far this year with only Heuter as a possible backup 3. The point guard Cowan is quick and skilled but 3 or 4 inches too short to play impactful minutes against top 20 teams with good point guards and there is no true pg back up. Morsell as a 2g looks like a keeper but it’s early. The Mamba is a keeper if he can cut down on the turnovers. After that the cupboard is pretty bare. Wiley and Nickens are busts. This is year 7 of the Turgeon era. We have a lot of holes on this team after 7 years.
Just to be clear, I’m not defending Turgeon as a good bench coach either. I think we have less than I once thought we had. Against top 20 teams we aren’t going to be very successful with this crew. How many of our guys, playing like they have played so far this year, would start on a top 20 team?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News