ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical ???? for Mike and TMAN

POLY1967

Junior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
When Sasho decides to step down ( hopefully not any time soon ), do you think Coach Pensky would be given serious consideration to replace him.

That's an interesting question. He's definitely a good coach. You also have Russel Payne and Leo Cullen up at Army and they might be candidates.

Quite honestly, I can't see Sasho going anytime soon. He's having too much fun.

t.
This post was edited on 10/29 12:23 PM by TMAN

Where exactly would he go to?

Look at what happened to poor Curt Onalfo at DC United. He gets the job back in Dec 09 with a contract that supposedly was guaranteed for two years, at a salary of approx. $200K. Less than nine months later, he gets canned (Aug. 4th) and do you see anyone rushing to hire him? I don't. Ben Olsen gets snubbed for the job -- told his interim days are numbered -- and they haven't made a hire yet. Not easy when you finish buck naked dead last in the league. What an opportunity!

MLS is notorious for running coaches through a revolving door. As they say in Hollywood, Monday you're new and by Friday you're through. Maybe its not as bad as it used to be -- the original New York/New Jersey Metro Stars (now the Red Bull) went through FIVE coaches in Two (2) years!!! That was early on in the league's infancy, but it is still the case that the name MLS and "job security" will never be mentioned in the same sentence unless your name is Arena.

On the other hand, Sasho has one of the safest if not the safest college coaching jobs in America -- in any college sport. It doesn't hurt that he also served on the selection committee for his new boss. Plus, he has three kids at home, the oldest of which would be approaching college age. Why should he roll the dice and go somewhere else when he has a young family to feed/clothe/educate, a great job here, and the next level up is a major risk?

If he was going to go to the professional ranks, it would almost make more sense for him to go to Europe, but that would be tough for the family, plus, he would not start with a head coaching job -- would probably have to be with a professional club's youth program, reserve squad, etc. I somehow don't see him wanting to do that, although I have never asked him.

Last and far from least, I have always had my doubts about Sasho as a professional coach if he doesn't have complete control over his program. In the MLS there is a general manager, club owner, etc. At Maryland, Sasho doesn't just run the program, he is the program. Its his baby, having nursed it out of mediocrity, built it, been an excellent program CEO for it, prodded it, kicked it in the butt, loved it, run through a bed of nails for it. Aside from having a good relationship with his AD, who else does he have to answer to? As long as his guys graduate on time (never been a problem) then the whole scene is all his.

Having said all that, he may at some point decide he wants another challenge. That is the counter-point to everything I have said above. After two national titles, four additional trips to the Final Four, what else does he have to prove? My gut says he will stay, but then, I am the one who thought Cindy Timchal would never leave, so what do I know?

Hey Mike you just said that ....

Sasho's oldest is approaching college age. Does he play soccer ???

She....

He has three girls, I think the answer is yes on the oldest, Hailey, but I don't know about her as a player aside from she is a midfielder at River Hill, but I vaguely recall she was also much involved in running as well as music. We have a lot of veteran coaches at Maryland now and I can't keep track of all their kids -- there are a ton of them! :)

Re: She....

Yea there was an article on Sasho one time written by Steve Goff of the Washington Post and Sasho said it out loud he would need full control.

In the MLS, it's a rent a job. Eventually your going to get fired....

I remember that article

It was one of those "don't hire me unless you know what you are getting" statements. He is in a position where he can do that, doesn't have to compromise, not the type to do that anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT