ADVERTISEMENT

Hey TMAN & Mike

POLY1967

Junior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Have either of you heard of Dakota Niedermeier, GK, committing to Maryland. I think he was at Mount Saint Joe for a couple of years, and then transferred to AA County school ( maybe Broadneck). If the commit is correct he would be #4, and might help Sasho get Jalen Robinson.

Yes, verbal commit....

TopDrawer reported his commit last month, said he is the #5 goalie in the country, #54 at any position, #5 any position in Mid-Atlantic region.

Re: Yes, verbal commit....

That's three goalies (2 frosh in 11 class) in 2 years for Sasho. Never seen him load up with the goalies like this before. Interesting. U have to figure one or two of them will RS maybe even in different years. Also might be a case where Sasho likes this kid Dakota much more so than what's coming up in the 2013 class as well. Anyhow, we shouldn't have to bring up the goalie position as to filling need now for quite awhile.

t.
This post was edited on 5/19 7:14 AM by TMAN

Perhaps the latest recruit thinks one of the people already commited will not stay at Maryland for more than a year or two. If one of them really is the next MacMath then they may not stay as long as MacMath did. That said, it can take so long for goalies to develop at the professional level that I am not sure it matters as much how long they stay in college. There can be other factors. Is the kid really into a particular academic program at Maryland? Family connections to the area? Hmmm.....

Good point Mike.

Interesting on the message boards that I've read so far this year on Maryland for 2011 and it's early but it seems that a lot of people are kind of overlooking Maryland a bit this year. It seems that the experts believe Md is a year away. Between the pipes is a ? mark for sure but the key there is the back four and what Sasho does there. You have to figure that Taylor Kemp, London Woodberry and Alex Lee start in the back four. The ? is who replaces or trys to replace Ethan White. Marquez Fernadez has to be in the mix and I've stated before I don't know how Sasho can keep Helge Leifvang on the bench as the kid has size, is agressive and a terrific holding /space player with ball. Add Daniel Metzer a very highly coveted player who can disperse the ball from the back end, no doubt Sasho has some options.

The other ? is who does Sasho team up with Casey Townsend up front. Me thinks he's got to look at Sunny Jane there but Patrick Mullins will get some votes there as well. Have to believe the kid Alex Shinsky starts in the midfield (Kassel replacement). Kassel was a very good player and will be hard to replace especially on his placements of the balls on corners and the free kick pieces.

Also I see the 2011 schedule has been released. Interesting that they open with Saint John's and WVU. That's a good litmus test for this squad early. Also Interesting that Md has to travel to UNC and UVA again on the road (2 years away...quirky). I like what the ACC did where they're having the higher seed teams play the 1st and 2nd round games at the higher seed venues for the ACC touney and the semi's and finals down in Carey NC.

t.
This post was edited on 5/25 7:05 PM by TMAN

No surprise people are looking past Maryland after all the guys that have left: first Ethan White, then MacMath, Cortes, Herrick, and Rodkey as expected; then Matt Kassel, which was always a possibility but we didn't know for sure when he would go; then Will Swaim and Greg Young also graduating. It is just a lot of good people. Yes, the Terps will still have the usual ton of talent, but it will overall be a much younger squad next near, and as you say, goalie is a question mark.

Yes, a lot of talent but a whole lotta people gotta step up: Forbes has to become The Man he has always been expected to be; If he doesn't then Shinsky may have to be the playmaker; and if it is Shinsky, is he really the next Kassel? Fernandez has to contribute but exactly where?

Agreed that the backline with Kemp, Woodberry, and Lee looks potentially very strong, plus you have Jake Pace, maybe Jordan Cyrus can go at marking back. Hmmm....I have always seen Sunny Jane as the most likely to go with Townsend up front, but you have to figure Stertzer and Oduaran will factor somehow.

Too many question marks for anyone to say Maryland will make a run in the tournament. I would love to see it happen, but realistically what can you expect? I say it will be easy to go over the top with expectation for the 2011 squad; This isn't like last year when it was a veteran squad, the expectations were very realistic, and the disappointment was valid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT