ADVERTISEMENT

Hey TMAN ... Jalen Robinson picks ..........

POLY1967

Junior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Wake Forest. In this mornings Sun paper.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/highschool/varsityletters/2011/06/mount_st_josephs_robinson_says_its_wake_forest.html

Yikes

Guess Gamble and Robinson went with the sure PT. Sasho squad, lets face it, they're still loaded but Sash can't be happy with Wake snaring these two and the Gilman goalie. Still getting Dakota Edwards and Brandon Fraser isn't chop liver.

T.

Re: Yikes

I have never had the expectation that he is going to get so many of the top instate players; It doesn't happen in any other sport; why should it happen in M-Soccer? Until Cathy Reese got here, W-Lax was getting very few of the top instate women. Brenda really doesn't get many of the local players. Some, but not all, to be sure. That's how it goes. And we all had to hear from the fans for years about how Gary didn't get this guy and Ralph didn't get that guy. Randy and Mark will get the same treatment eventually.

The concern I have for next year has nothing to do with recruiting; It is the overall lack of experience, thanks to all the early departures. There will be four seniors on the roster: Casey Townsend, Alex Lee, Matt Oduaran, and Kaoru Forbess. Now I think all four will be starters, but it is still an overall younger roster. Even when you look at the junior class: Woodberry, Cyrus, Kemp, Torres, Stertzer, Frechilla, and Saint Cyr -- how many of those will be starters? I am saying it is time to be reasonable about expectations this year, no matter how good Alex Shinsky turns out to be. I don't care if he is the next Johan Cruyf; it is still going to be a young team.

Mike ,...

Kemp been a 2 year starter, Torres and Stertzer have logged many minutes. Not full time starters but surley we can't call these 2 guys rooks either. Woodberry has some experience but no doubt the injury hurt his developement last year and it looks like Sash is moving him to Center back. You have Patrick Mullins whose logged many minutes and Sunny Jane who received enough time in 19 games for 3 goals.

The youth comes in when Sasho looks down the bench subs. There's where I agree with you. By the end of the year, guys like Shinsky (if he's not starting) and/or Metzger and Roach should be battled tested. IMO, the back 4 needs to be very good and are the key to this squad this year especially with a new goalie. If they are, this team is definitely a threat for the cup again. Injuries could do this team in though as it's not as deep as last years squad. I'm optomistic still about this squad. I think they're going to surprise.

t.

I am not saying the squad is totally lacking in experience; I am making the relative statement that they are not as experienced as last year's team that should have made it to the Final Four and did not. Now if that puts a chip on their shoulder and they go on a mission -- and as you say, IF they stay healthy -- then yes, they can make a run, BUT, what I am saying is that with all the people that graduated and/or left early and the necessity of having to depend on younger players, this team does not have the margin for error they did last year.

Mullins is kind of a wild card to me. ACC Freshman of the Year, but I am just not sure where he fits in. He is versatile enough that he can go at midfield or striker and he has a penchant for clutch goals -- he only had five last year but it seemed all of them were crucial -- and his 4 assists also seemed timely. Maybe he is one of those guys you just have to throw in there and see what happens. I have always liked Shertzer and Jane, so somehow we get a balanced front line with them and Townsend.

Yes, taking a very positive view, it could work out very well, but the calculus here says it is a more difficult task. Then again, this all needs to be in context: they always make the tournament anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT