ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Poly - Terps soccer

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Took apart the Penn team last night (no surprise) and yet I thought they were off their game a little. Might be looking ahead. I counted two real good scoring chances by Penn. Zach McMath had one sensational save, a one handed stab that saved a sure goal in he 2nd half. The usual suspects, McMath, Townsend, our goalie, Ethan White and Cassel all had big games. Patrick Mullins is showing he deserved the rook award in the ACC again with a goal. When's the last time Maryland had a kid like this that came off the bench (actually I like Sunny Jane a little better). Not since the days of Robbie Rodgers. As we remember Rodgers was a dyanmo off the NC run but never started. Then late in the summer a European team came in and offered the kid some change and he took the kash and crossed the pond.

Next up is Maryland vs Penn State. The Nits have been on a roll a bit so this one bears watching. No pushover. They have a kid by the name of Corey Hertzeg(I believe) whose their big gun up front. Maryland knocked the Nits out last year in the final 16.

My upset of the week... Michigan State takes out North Carolina. I was mightly impressed with the Spartans win over Maryland in the opener this year. Would like to see Maryland play a home and home series with the Spartans. Sasho might not like that LOL.

t.

Biggest surprise yesterday had to be UConn losing to Brown. It is really going to be interesting to see how Louisville holds up in the tournament. That #1 ranking they have has put a bulls eye on their back. From now on they get everyone's ' A ' game.

Besides the Terps vs. Penn State game, I think the most interesting contest is Akron vs Indiana. Pitting a team that has been flirting with the title the last couple of years, and a school which has one multiple crowns.

Hate to make this last comment, but seeing how well Kassel and MacMath have been playing, I think this is their last season in a Terp Uniform.

Agree with you on UCONN and I didn't even know they had lost until you told me. Yike!!

I'll have to admit I have not seen Louisville so I can't really comment on them but we'll find out about them for sure. Akron vs Indiana has all the ear marks of a big game. What I've heard about Indiana is that they're a little shaky in the back four and if that is true then that could be fatal against Akron as Akron will push forward.

I do like UNC to take it on the chin against the Spartans though.

Agree on Matt and Zach going out which makes it more imperative for this group to bring home the crown. You only get so many chances to get the ring and it's out there for the terps. Still Sasho has Alex Shinsky (York PA high school star whom most college coaches have as the # 1 recruit in the country coming in the fall). Also add Daniel Metzger , another high mid coming in September will be a two time Parade All American, coming as well. So with Matt possibly leaving, Sasho simply reloads. As for McMath leaving, Sasho has 2 time Parade All American Keith Cardona coming in this September and he starts day 1 IMO. Don't be surprised either if Sasho brings in a transfer goalie.

Even with those two that you mentioned possibly leaving, Maryland will be "very" tough next year. I'm saying that with Patrick Mullins and Sunny Jane coming into the starting line up for certain. Jane's a lock to replace Rodkey IMO. He'll remind folks of Rodney Wallace and Jeremy Halls days of attacking down the sidelines.

t.

Re: Hey Poly - More news on Metzger

After doing some more investigating on this kid, he sounds like former Terp great Dan Califf. Metzger will be playing central defenser. A big strong lanky kid whose more comfortable with dispersing the ball from the back line. Reportedly that's the plan for the terps coaching staff to play him at central back. Thus if Matt Kassel leaves, Metzger is probably not the guy for that spot (more like Shinsky).

t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT