ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Poly = Evaluation time

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Did you see Jalen Robinson, Malcom Harris and Mike Gamble this year? If so, how many times and like to have your thoughts on the kids.

t.

Interesting that you bring this subject up TMAN, since today is supposed to be the MIAA semifinals featuring McDonogh at MSJ. Weather and wife permitting I will be there.

First the McDonogh players Mike Gamble ( forward ) and Malcolm Harris ( defender ), since both of these players transferred from other Maryland high schools I have only seen a couple of times. What I have seen of Gamble really is impressive, but he is really hard to judge since he plays up front with Julian Griggs ( princeton bound ) another top talent. One thing I have noticed is that Gamble tends to shine in the big games.

Defensively Malcolm Harris is an outstanding defender, I would rate him above Marquez Fernandez.

McDonogh players, to me, are hard to judge individually, because they play on a team with so many other great players. Steve Nichols, their coach, is also the Casa Mia coach, so he has access to a great talent pool.

That being said, the success of Mcdonogh players at Maryland has been somewhat sketchy. Even though Mike Marchione played on two national championship teams. And to me was a consumate team player. Contrast him with Matt Beckman and Jon Ports, two All Metro players, who got little PT and transferred out after two and one years, respectively.

That being said I would take gamble and Harris in a heartbeat.

Now lets get to Jalen Robinson. Here is a young man who I have seen play about 20 times. Tman, i know you say that some of maryland defenders play like Brazilians, well Jalen would fit right in with them. He can really move with the ball. I do not think defender will be his college position. Rather, I see him in the Rodney Wallace and Maurice Edu mold, a total nightmare for opposing team.

If I was Sasho , it's a no-brainer, take all three of them. This year they have 5 seniors and signed 4 high schoolers. next year they have 6 seniors so they should have the money.

I read somewhere that Harris is the top defender in the country. Well if he is #1 then Robinson is 1A.

In 2012 can You imagine a starting linup that includes: Gamble, Harris, Robinson, Fernandez, Jane, Mullins, Shinsky, Metzger and Cardona. I know that is only nine players, but what a nine.

Good stuff Poly. Yea I figure all 3 kids would have to be on top of the Food Chain for Sasho. Sasho and Nichols are buds so Sasho will always get a good shot on his kids. Not saying they're all coming to Maryland but he gets in the door with Nichols kids for sure.

The only thing I can't predict going forward with these recruits is if a MLS team comes in and offers the kid $$$ to jump ship ala Andy Najar (West Springfield kid - DC United rook of the year). Turning pro is something no one can predict on and hard for a kid to turn down the dough. Speaking of dough comes the scholarship issue. As Mike F has said many times is there are only 9 scholies that collleges can give for soccer. So Sasho and other head coaches have to get creative. We know how Md lost Mamadou (NCS full schollie offer) last year. Md couldn't match that offer. So that plays into things. The other thing u touched on a little is playing time. Lets face it,... Md cupboard is never empty and numbers come into play as far as "who" is in front of a recruit at the school.

Glad u liked Malcom Harris defensive play. With Ethan White being a junior next year, Sahso has to be lookN for a new sheriff. I do like the Scandinavian frosh on the Maryland team (HL...don't ask me to spell his name LOL). He's tough and he has potential to be very good. Fernandez , I'm lookn forward to next year. Never seen him play except for some 30 seconds of a tourny on the internet. With your review on Gamble and Robinson, u have to figure Md is in the final 2 for both kids. I've heard whispers on both kids looking at the MLS and even some Europe teams taking alook at both kids.

But I'll go forward and say the kids go to college. So on Gamble, Robinson and Harris, I would say Sasho gets at least 2 of the 3. If the terps win the NC, then Sasho gets out the broom. I have a hard time thinking that a local kid is going to turn down Sasho with everything being equal. I'm optomistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT