ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Mike F.

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Would you say that this is Sasho's "best' coaching job this season. He's one game away (though a tough game with UVA) from the cup again after loosing all the talent (including the early departures from last year) along with Townsend being down 1/2 the season, Rodkey going down and Alex Lee terrible mishap. Maryland always reloads in recruiting but the young kids and the grizzled Vets like Harrick, Yates, Cortes are coming through.

They get to the cup, it's been a hell of a ride and no matter what happens , Maryland looks very tough in 2010. I only see one kid (Sean) possible sniffing at going pro off this current squad with the underclassmen. But that would be big blow if he goes. He's having a hell of a tourny. T.

Not Mike ... But

Totally agree with you TMAN about Sasho's coaching this year.

What do you think about Kassel looking pro after this year?

Must be having a brain-fart this morning, Who is Sean ?

Re: Not Mike ... But

Haven't heard about Kassel going but to be honest he's had a "quite" year IMO so it might behoove the kid to stay. Maybe Mike F. knows something on Kassel. But if a MLS wants to waive a generation contract in front of Kassel then the kid has to go but like I said I thought Kassel game this year was on the "quite" side. His game could of been impacted by all the young kids surrounding him and the loss of Townsend didnt help him either. So we'll see.

Sean... ouch...I meant Zac MacMath

Macmath turning pro would not surprise me. I think quite frankly the upcoming recruiting class will tell us of MacMath intentions. If Sasho signs a top National Goalie than it could be a sign that he thinks Zac is leaving. Because the only other goalie on the squad is Swain, and he will be a senior next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sasho has a goalie "transfer" lined up.

t.

I Am Mike ... But I Just Don't Know

I have no info on whether Kassel or MacMath or anyone else is going pro. Neither of those two would surprise me, nor would Casey Townsend leaving surprise me either, despite the injuries. If you have that kind of talent, an injury year won't hurt your chances that much. This is all speculation though. Bottom line is that Kassel and MacMath have clearly helped their chances by their team getting this far in the tournament.

I did say in the November edition of TT that I thought this is clearly one of the best coaching jobs Sasho has ever done, due to all the injuries, at one point being without 3 of 4 original backline starters, losing Rodkey, the almost tragedy involving Alex Lee, etc etc. The latter was a potentially devestating psychological blow and it was Sasho's experience as a head coach and leadership that got them through it, not to mention the maturity of the players.

In some ways this is a very special team regardles of how far they get this year. The fact that we are even discussing a potential Final Four with all they have been through indicates the character of this group. And as the saying goes, character is destiny.

Tough assignment tonight. UVA goalie Diego Restrepo leads the nation in goals against average with 0.306 and has a school record 14 shutouts this year. Granted, UVA is very young with only three seniors on the roster, but they have done very well this year and are under the eyes of their own fans. That said, I thought Maryland passed a major test up at Harvard, so we shall see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Re: I Am Mike ... But I Just Don't Know

Mike great stuff as usual.

t

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT