ADVERTISEMENT

Field Hockey's O'Donnell Named Sportswoman of the Year

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
As awarded by the Women's Sports Foundation last night, and it goes without saying she is more than deserving. And noting the press release below she is in good company, considering past award winners: Mia Hamm, Sue Bird, Lisa Leslie, Venus & Serena Williams et al. I have to say I was a bit surprised that she won given that Maryland had two athletes up for the award, the other being lacrosse's Caitlyn McFadden, and I thought that might affect the voting. In any case, congratulations to both of them. On a personal note, it has been a distinct pleasure to get to know Katie these past four years. She is always great in interviews, is an easy going, down to earth, hard working woman who is appreciated by all who know her.

O’Donnell Named Sportswoman of the Year

Senior wins Women’s Sports Foundation’s annual honor

NEW YORK, N.Y. ? Senior Katie O’Donnell of the Maryland field hockey team was named the Women’s Sports Foundation’s Sportswoman of the Year award Tuesday night at the annual Salute to Women in Sports banquet at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York.

The Maryland coaching staff, the O’Donnell family and Athletics Director Kevin Anderson were all in New York as O’Donnell was named the year’s top performer for all team sport competitors.

“What a wonderful honor to represent Maryland and the sport of field hockey,” O’Donnell said. “I am so privileged to accept this award. I am extremely excited to take part in the Women’s Sports Foundation from now on.”

O’Donnell, the 2009 Honda Sports Award winner, won the Sportswoman of the Year award for her accomplishments from August 2009 through July 2010. During that time period, she helped lead the Terrapins to their first-ever 18-0 regular season record and an Atlantic Coast Conference championship. She led the NCAA in assists and points and broke the ACC’s career assist record.

She is currently a starter for the U.S. Senior National team. Over the last year, she played in over 40 international games.

Other nominees included former Terrapin lacrosse player Caitlyn McFadden, USA Softball star Jennie Finch, Olympic hockey gold medalist Meghan Agosta, and Betsey Armstrong, goalkeeper for the U.S. Water Polo team.

“I was among some phenomenal athletes. I was star struck throughout the event and now I am one of them,” O’Donnell said. “I want to send a big thank you to everyone who has gotten me to where I am today.”

Past winners of the award include Olympic beach volleyball gold medalists Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor, basketball stars Sue Bird, Lisa Leslie, Diana Taurasi and Sheryl Swoopes, as well as soccer star Mia Hamm and tennis players Serena and Venus Williams. For more information on the award and the banquet, please visit WomensSportsFoundation.org.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT