ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Moore to declare for NFL Draft

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
It's official. DJ Moore will declare for the NFL Draft:

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – University of Maryland junior DJ Moore, regarded as one of the top wide receivers in the nation this year, announced Tuesday that he will forego his senior season with the Terps and declare for the 2018 NFL Draft.

“I have had an incredible three years playing for the Terps and I will truly miss playing in front of our fans,” said Moore. “I can’t thank my teammates and coaches enough for always being there for me and supporting me. I’ve grown so much during my time at Maryland, both as a football player and as a man.

“I am truly grateful for the opportunity the University of Maryland has given me to play the game I love while also receiving a top-notch education,” Moore continued. “Lastly, I want to thank my mom, brother, sister and other family members and friends for their continued support, because none of this would have been possible without them.”

Moore, who was named First Team All-Big Ten and the Richter-Howard Big Ten Receiver of the Year, led the league with a single-season Maryland record 80 receptions and 1,033 receiving yards. The Philadelphia native is one of just three receivers in the country to post 80 receptions, 1,000 receiving yards and eight touchdowns in 2017.

“I’m thrilled for DJ and his family,” Maryland Head Coach DJ Durkin said. “I can’t say enough positive things about how he conducts himself as a football player, student and man. DJ has been a leader for this program since the day I arrived and he’s someone that holds himself and his teammates accountable. DJ has tremendous talent and work-ethic and I know he’ll succeed at the next level. We’ll miss him as a member of our team, but could not be more proud to have him represent us in the NFL.”

Moore ranked seventh nationally in total receptions in 2017 and ends his Maryland career with 146 career catches, a mark that ranks fifth in Maryland history. His 2,027 career receiving yards makes him just the fifth Terp to eclipse the 2,000 career receiving yards plateau.

Moore’s eight touchdowns this past season ranks tied for fourth in Maryland’s single-season history. He also ends his career fourth all-time at Maryland with 17 career touchdown catches.

Maryland has had a player selected in the NFL Draft 21 of the last 23 years. Stefon Diggs was the last Terp wide receiver taken in the draft, selected by the Minnesota Vikings in 2015.

Maryland has had an outstanding string of receivers in the professional ranks over the last 15 years. Vernon Davis was drafted sixth overall in 2006 and has played in 178 games while posting 544 receptions, 7,010 receiving yards and 59 touchdowns.

Darrius Heyward-Bey was selected seventh overall in 2009 and is in his ninth NFL season in 2017. Torrey Smith was drafted in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft and won a Super Bowl as a member of the Ravens in 2013. Diggs was named to the All-Rookie Team in 2015 and is widely regarded as one of the most talented young wide outs in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News