ADVERTISEMENT

Dissecting Maryland's Week 1 two-deep

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
With Maryland's Week 1 two-deep now public for the whole world to see, I take a stab at dissecting things to see just who will be first to take the field for the Terps Saturday night and who else is likely to play behind them.

Ekx6jxFWkAEcwgL.jpeg

Who starts at quarterback?

I think of all the questions that will be asked about the Terps' initial depth chart, this is the easiest to answer, despite Tagovailoa and LeGendre being named as co-starters. By all accounts Tagovailoa has won the starting job and both he and LeGendre, as well as the rest of the team, have been made aware.

Tagovailoa is by far the best pure passer on the roster and with the Terps' wideout group likely being the strongest unit on the team, they need someone under center who can get the ball to their playmakers on the outside and let them do their thing.

Brian Cobbs gets the starting nod over Rakim Jarrett.

This one probably shouldn't surprise me, but it did. Cobbs was second on the team in receiving yards last season and started the final three games of 2019. He has solid hands and is a good route runner but lacks real breakaway speed. Starter or not, Cobbs is going to see the field this season in certain situations. As will Jeshaun Jones' backup, Darryl Jones. But Rakim Jarrett is one of those rare talents with the type of speed and playmaking ability that doesn't come around too often. By all accounts, Jarrett has made plenty of spectacular plays during camp, but he might have to earn his way onto the field by taking advantage of limited snaps in the early goings as Cobbs and perhaps even Jones see the field more to start the season thanks to their seniority.

Tyler Baylor starting at tight end.

This isn't really surprising, but thought I would mention it anyways and maybe help explain why he got the nod.

Chig Okonkwo almost certainly would have been the starting TE this year had he not had to sit out due to an undisclosed medical condition. With Okonkwo out, if left redshirt freshman Malik Jackson as the only other experienced TE on the roster. Because of this, Maryland moved former defensive end Tylor Baylor and former LB Kam Blount over to the offensive side to play TE.

Tight end is certainly a position where you need big, athletic guys and Baylor certainly fits the bill. Remember, Baylor (who is related to basketball HOF'er Elgin Baylor) came to Good Counsel as a basketball star before switching over to the gridiron as a junior. But you look at guys like Tony Gonzalez, Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates and there is certainly a history of guys transitioning from starring on the hardwood to starring as tight ends. This could end up being a move that pays big dividends for the Terps down the road.

Can Jake Funk carry the workload as an every-down back?

Jake funk getting the nod as the Terps' starting running back is no surprise. He's the most tenured player on the team, is battle tested and has faced all kinds of adversity. But the question is, can he be an every-down back? Head coach Mike Locksley was asked this very question on Tuesday and he said he believes Funk can be a three-down back. That said, I think it is more likely a running back-by-committee situation.

Both Tayon Fleet-Davis and Isaiah Jacobs were both listed as back ups to Funk in the two-deep. I think the back to most likely get the most carries behind Funk is Jacobs. After that, don't be surprised if Peny Boone gets a fair number of carries despite not being listed in the two-deep. I think we will see all four of Funk, Jacobs, Fleet-Davis and Boone in the box score Saturday night.

Boletepeli or Rogers at defensive end?

I truly expect to see both Joe Boletepeli and Lawtez Rogers rotate at DE. Boletepeli was one of the biggest surprises of camp. Despite being listed as a LB, Boletepeli proved to be arguably the Terps' best pass rusher throughout camp. Expect to see Boletepeli on obvious passing downs and more of Rogers versus the run.

Who starts at JACK?

For me, this is probably the biggest surprise in the two-deep. With all of the good things I kept hearing about Nchami, it honestly never even really occurred to me that someone might actually be pushing him for the starting spot. At this point, I am simply going to assume that Holt had a fantastic camp and the Terps now have two guys they really like at the position. Given Maryland's struggles rushing the passer a season ago, moving Boletepeli to DE and having Nchami listed as a co-starter at JACK likely means we are going to see those two on the field at the same time on passing downs, really getting after the opposing quarterback.

Where does Shaq Smith fit in?

The Terps used former five-star LB Shaq Smith at the JACK position last season but Smith had his struggles after playing inside the previous two seasons at Clemson. So Maryland moved Smith back inside once again, but it seems he was unable to wrestle the starting job away from junior Chance Campbell. While Shaq's time in a Terps uniform has been a bit of a disappointment to this point, Locksley said on Tuesday that Smith has been a leader of the team both on and off the field and he will most certainly see the field this season. Campbell, meanwhile, seems to be cemented as one of the anchors of the defense to this point. True freshman Reuben Hyppolite should also factor in heavily at the MIKE position, which would likely cut down on Shaq's snaps even further.

Who sees the most snaps at the WILL position?

I was only slightly surprised to see Ayinde Eley and Fa'Najae Gotay listed as co-starters at the WILL linebacker spot. Last season Eley was second on the team in total tackles, earning honorable mention All-B1G honors. But Gotay also showed promise last season, recording a single-game team high 15 tackles in his lone start vs. Michigan St. in the season finale. Eley is at his best dropping back in pass coverage so his presence makes sense on obvious passing downs. But it would not be surprising to see Gotay on the field for obvious short-yardage situations. Look for both to see significant snaps this season.

Who starts at cornerback?

There are technically four starters listed at the two cornerback spots in the initial two-deep. On one side you have Deonte Banks and Tarheeb Still, while on the other you've got the Bennetts, Jakorian and Kenny.

I fully expect Banks to be the starter on one side, but Still has apparently really given Banks a run for his money and should be among the true freshmen to see significant snaps this season. On the other side, I am expecting newcomer Jakorian Bennett to be the starter over Kenny Bennett. All of that said, I think it is likely we will see corners rotate in and out throughout the game and along with those four, we are also likely to see Lavonte Gater in certain situations, as well.

Who starts at safety opposite Nick Cross?

While there had been some rumblings that Jordan Mosley was being moved to linebacker, those rumors did not come to fruition and Mosley is listed as a co-starter at safety. It will be very interesting to see who gets the nod between Mosley and Antoine Richardson. A fifth-year senior coming off of injury, Richardson is the most tenured member of the Terps' defense. He was fifth on the team in tackles back in 2018 and also had an interception. Mosley last year was sixth on the team in tackles and also had an interception. This could be a situation where these two are battling it out each week to see who will get the start. But with so little depth, it is nice to see the competition as it is quite possible both will be needed at some time this season.

BY THE NUMBERS

* 12 newcomers in the two-deep
* 6 true freshmen
* 5 redshirt freshmen
* only 6 seniors in the two-deep

Reactions: pdonohue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews