ADVERTISEMENT

Clash of the Titans

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Lots of interesting processors going off in my noggin while watching the first half live last night with Maryland vs North Carolina and then watching the terps and heels battle through 2 Overtimes via the wonders of a DVR player. First of all in the first half UNC had Maryland going backwards on roller skates. UNC’s talent is superb as you have to start with the Schuler kid. Here’s Sasho whom seems to get praticly every New Jersey kid (Doug Rodkey, Matt Kassell to Steve King to the 3 true frosh on this years team) and I’m saying to myself , “Sash you missed one”. That kid would of looked good in a Maryland Uni. With Ben Speas, the Hernandez kid, Robbie Lovejoy and the rest of the UNC hydra, the heels unleashed a blistering attack on Maryland. I had a bad feeling about this game as far as the matchups goes with the Maryland midfield especially with no Sunny Jane. Without naming a couple of Maryland midfielders, for the most part of the first half, a couple of Maryland kids left their game in college park and it was pedestrian heaven for the UNC attackers to go through Maryland like a hot knife through butter. Casey Townsend and Patrick Mullins looked like a couple of wooden Indians up top as nobody was getting them the ball. The midfield couldn’t connect a plug to an outlet let alone try to slice a pass to the two Maryland attacking forwards. Thus when halftime came, I said to myself, “We have a chance”.

Maryland needed a score and they needed it quickly to change momentum. The quick score in the second half came from John Stertzer(whose a lock for 1st team All ACC as he's having a hell of a year) and I said “HMMM this is getting interesting”. Then came a decisive ruling by the official in a bellicose environment. A questionable handball (actually it wasn’t a hand ball) gave UNC a PK and a redcard to Maryland’s best Defender (London Woodberry). Forget about whether if the call is right or not, just “WHEN” is FIFA and the rest of these cowboys going to use instant replay on penalty box calls and whether the ball crosses the goal line. A long debate here for instant replay but back to the game. So Woodberry is out and then Alex Lee , Maryland’s other central back goes out with a clipped wheel. So now Sasho starts firing in live bodies off the bench with Kyle Roach going to the back (true frosh whose going to be very good) and moves Helge Leikvan to Central Back to shadow Schuler and the Metzger kid who broke a couple of UNC defenders ankles on a few moves as that kid is Maryland's next star from the northeast. These moves to me is where Sasho outcoached the UNC coach as he kept live legs out there to try to hold possession and to protect the tie. Carlos Somoasa (sp?) I believe only substituted twice in the game. I couldn’t figure that one out. The TV announcers said that the move of Leikvang bothered Schuler but from my cheap seats I think Schuler ran out of gas in late in regulation. Where’s a UNC body to give the kid a blow? Coach Somoasa, please speak up.

It had to be a pretty fulfilling experience for Matt Oduran, Jordan Cyrus, Kyle Roach, Daniel Metzger and even semi-fit Alex Shinsky got quality minutes against the number 2 team in the country. The end of the game camera shots of both teams told the tale with the UNC kids hanging their heads a little while the Maryland kids weren’t kutting cartwheels but they were slapping hands as they escaped with a point without there best player on the pitch. And speaking of best players on the tundra for Maryland, give it up to Wil Swain the Maryland goalie. Some of the shots were right at him but this kid was solid, directing a hodge podge back line and came up with some stops when this game could have been over early.

Pretty kool also with the Maryland followers down there raising noise with their chants down there on TV. Dam I thought the game for the moment was in Ludwig field. Job well done guys…

Tman

Hey TMAN : I couple of posts ago when we were commenting on the Virginia game I said that with the little I saw of Metzger he looked like a future star. One thing a would like to see Sasho try in one of the last two games is put Sunny Jane and Metzger up front together and see what happens.

You commented a while back that you thought that Sasho would look for a big time scorer in the class of 2013. With the success he has had in Texas with Omar, London and Mike Ambrose for next year. Did you think Sasho might be looking at Kekuta Manneh from The Woodlands, the number one player in the Class of 2013 according to College Soccer News.

Last, but not least, with the success Sasho has had with players lately from the New York / New Jersey area does that flashback to the great run of teams that Virginia had during their domination of College Soccer with a great deal of players from that area.

Last night Poly played a great game in beating Dunbar 18 - 14 in a game where Dunbar's lineman probably outweighed Poly's by about 50 + pounds per man. How Poly got in the 4A class I do not know, but I was told that if they had lost last night they probably would miss the playoffs. They still have two games left, one of which is Seedy.

Your right about Bruce Arenea gettting every New Jersey kid in his hey day. Things have chanced though since the days of Bruce's dynasty as more colleges are pouring money into their soccer program and there is far more talent to go around twhich evens out the competive plain.

I'm with you on a couple of fronts. First for next season, there's been some talk about Patrick Mullins turning pro early. I think he's making a mistake as he's gone for a month without scoring a goal (he's at number 6 as he got number 6 against Duke). His play has leveled off some and he would be highly advised to come back for his junior year IMO. Now if he gets hotter than a firecracker down the stretch then I get to change my position on that statement like a politician. With that said, with Townsend a senior and the possibility of Mullins turning yea I'm with you that Sunny Jane is a viable candidate up front with Metzger. Sasho has 2 forwards coming in and the kid Donovan Fraser is killing people up in New York. He had 17 goals and 16 assists in his Long Island league. Interesting he's only the number 9 player rated by one service but I don't hold too much in those recruiting services. The kid has speed. Also the kid from Episcopal Ntkoso Tschuma (sp?) is a mid-forward type and what I've been told this kid is a golden nugget that Sasho snared early and could impact. He's from South Africa if I'm not mistaken and he's a force. Episcopal soccer team is not as strong this year. I wanted to see this kid play this year but it hasn't worked out for me so far.

I can guarantee you that Sasho is on Manneh for the 2013 class but is Sasho done for 2012? You have Christian Hernandez (a senior up in New Jersey) whose a 5 star kid? He has not commited and he could come in for the 2012 class though I don't know if Maryland is on him or not. I don't know what the status is with Hernandez (is he thinking of turning pro?), grades? ect?.... Sasho still might be thinking a forward in the 2012 class. As Mike F always says, guys leave and can leave as late as August so you never know the roster status. Look at Paul Torrez this year, leaving at the last second. Don't know where Torrez went either

Coaching and technique schemes goes along way in the high school ranks when another team outweighs the other team. Good for Poly hs. Now if the Maryland football team can get this mess straighten out things will be a lot happier in College Park. That program out there has big tyme problems. Presure mounts next year to a boiler point with Edsal next year. He's on a short leash. And Kevin Anderson collar gets tighter more so than Edsal's if football program bombs again next year. We'll see.

T.

Poly & MIke Fekula - Go figure this

Virginia loses to Elon this week as George Gelanovitch (UVA head coach) seat gets hotter down there. With that said, they just landed Brandon Allen the star midfielder up in New York (a kid that Mike mentioned) committed yesterday to them. Wonder if the kid saw Alex Shinsky and Metzger here as the competition in the midfield and said "hey wait a minute , where am I starting"....

Sasho will do well though, The east is loaded with talent in 2013.

T.

Re: Poly & MIke Fekula - Go figure this

We are all enamored with Sasho and rightfully so...what's he built is amazing. Can we hire a similar coach for football, if need be..., i.e. one that is as dynamic and charismatic as Sasho and can build something like Sasho...?

Re: Poly & MIke Fekula - Go figure this

Amen ccterp amen....Lets hope you and I are wrong and Edsal does it. I'll be gladly to eat my words.

Tman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT