ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball's Top Target...

keithbooth22

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2011

Maryland Basketball Recruiting: Top target gets a familiar feeling during visit​

The Terps made an impression on one of their top targets.​

As Maryland basketball begins to shift its recruiting focus towards the 2026 class, it'll be focusing on a few prospects in hopes of building momentum and strong foundational relationships that pay off in the long run. One prospect they're high on was on campus Friday for an unofficial visit.

"The visit was really good," OTE and Team Melo guard Parker Robinson told IMS. "Everyone was really friendly. When I first got there, I went right to their practice and it was great to watch some of the other local guys from the area that I know. I saw DeShawn Harris-Smith, who I played against when I was at Good Counsel. It was good seeing Malachi Palmer and guys like that. It just gave me a chance to envision myself playing with those guys for a place that I'm familiar with."

Taking in practice was a chance for Robinson to see the other side of the staff.

"Practice was intense and high energy. I was really impressed with Coach Manning and Coach Willard especially. The way they were so involved in everything and not just letting guys get away with things."

Following practice, they took Robinson around campus to show the perspective of student life.

"The campus is beautiful. They definitely went out of their way to show me around and treat me very well when we were driving around. The fans there are passionate and I'm sure they're the same when it comes to basketball games."

Robinson's style of play is what appeals most to the staff. How he gets his shots within the flow was on full display over the summer, specifically when he played in the Adidas Next Generation Tournament in May where he finished third in scoring at 20.7 points per game with scorching efficiency. It's also noteworthy that current Maryland commit Christian Jeffrey played alongside Robinson in the backcourt for this event.

"They believe I'm a high level shooter and that's what they believe I could come in and do from the jump. They like my IQ for the game and they think I'm a great team player. I do things that translate to winning and that's something they are looking to build their roster with. They also brought up Jahmir Young's success with the program and the idea of how he came in, did what he was supposed to do and now he's finding his way in the league."
Leading up to the visit, Robinson has had phone calls with Willard, but obviously spending time with someone in person gives you the opportunity to learn more about their personality.

"It's always good to see them in person, spend time and get to know someone on a more personal level. He seems like a great guy and has a lot of knowledge about the game. They showed me a lot of love out there and spoiled me for sure. Their message was that local prospects give more to the program because it's not about the name on the back of the jersey, but the name on the front and the area that means the most to them. He seems like a great coach and I'll definitely be watching them closely this season."

As far as new developments in Robinson's overall recruitment, he mentioned programs such as Kansas, Michigan and Notre Dame are beginning to reach out following OTE's Pro Day earlier this month. Iowa, Providence, West Virginia and VCU account for a few of the programs who have officially extended offers to the 6-foot-4 four-star.

Robinson currently ranks as the No. 97 overall prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.