ADVERTISEMENT

7-footer Chol Marial solidifies Maryland's 2019 class

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Head coach Mark Turgeon has announced the addition of 7-2 center Chol Marial (pronounced “SHOL MAR-ial”) to solidify the Maryland men’s basketball team’s 2019 class. The signing comes on the heels of Philadelphia Player of the Year Hakim Hart’s commitment to the Terps just over a week ago.

“I want to thank Coach Turgeon for giving me this opportunity,” Marial said. “Coach Turgeon and I have gotten along really well and I really enjoyed spending time with the rest of the coaching staff and players. Bruno Fernando and I have similar backgrounds and I saw how much he improved as a player at Maryland. I’m looking forward to getting better every day and playing for Terp Nation.”

A native of South Sudan with a 7-11 wingspan, Marial moved to the United States in 2014 as a middle schooler and attended IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., before finishing his prep career at AZ Compass Prep in Chandler, Ariz.

“I’ve watched Chol the last three years and I can’t say enough about him as both a person and a basketball player,” Turgeon said. “One of the top players in his class when healthy, Chol’s tremendous size and length make him an excellent rim protector. Chol possesses a humble demeanor and a strong work ethic that will fit well with our family. We can’t wait to have him in College Park and look forward to helping him reach his dreams”.

Chol Marial
7-2, 230
Rumbek, South Sudan
AZ Compass Prep

BEFORE MARYLAND: A four-star recruit via ESPN and Rivals … a three-star recruit via 247Sports … Rated as the No. 58 player in the country via ESPN … Rated as the No. 2 player in the state of Arizona via ESPN … Rated as the No. 6 player in the state of Arizona via 247Sports … Averaged 14 points, 13 rebounds and eight blocks at AZ Compass Prep … the cousin of Milwaukee Bucks forward Thon Maker … was originally discovered at the 2013 Basketball Without Borders event in South Africa.

Zy Owens, Guardian

“I think Maryland was where Chol felt most comfortable on our visits and it’s definitely the spot for him. The tremendous coaching staff, facilities and educational opportunity at Maryland will all prepare him for the next level. He’s really looking forward to growing as a player and helping Maryland win. Chol is an amazing person with a big heart and he loved that Coach Turgeon and the team treated him like family from the outset.”

Ed Gipson, Head Coach of AZ Compass Prep

“First off, Maryland is getting a true class act. Chol is incredibly respectful, works hard in the classroom and is an overall stand-up kid. On the court, he’s a complete game-changer who has the ability to take over at all times. For his size, Chol is extremely well-rounded and I think people will be really surprised by his skillset. He’s a shot blocker who can also finish around the rim and knock down from outside.”

Reactions: tvterp and JoeTerp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News