ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO: James Franklin's Press Conference -- Maryland week

Hey guys! Rich Schnyderite here, publisher of Nittany Nation aka the Penn State-Rivals site. Just wanted to drop by and post our video from PSU head coach James Franklin's press conference today.

There are a couple of Maryland questions / answers in there, so ENJOY! If you guys want, I'll also throw in any and all Maryland / PSU content from our site in this thread as well.

Login to view embedded media

Recruiting skyrocketing for Florida DE Markus Strong

Union County (Fla.) DE Markus Strong has seen his recruitment explode over the past month or so and the Terps were the first P5 school to throw their hat in the ring. He has some ties to the area and is looking to visit soon. Rutgers, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Georgia Tech and UCF ARE among the others to recently offer. More at the link below.

STORY
Reactions: huehueterp

Locksley says postgame...

Give credit to PSU, today we didn't play up to our standard in any phase. I need to look at all three phases and make sure we are playing the right guys and doing the right things and get things fixed here. No time to panic, though. But we need to look at every aspect, personnel, play calling, everything.

It is easy to give all the blame to the QB, but it isn't all on him, it is lots of things. But as an offense, we haven't executed and we aren't doing things like we do during practice.

On defense, didn't say a lot of missed alignments, but a lot of missed tackles. A lot of big plays where we just didn't make the play we need to in order to play winning football.

It comes back to execution on offense, and not just the players, but the coaches also. Do we have the right personnel, are we dotting the 'i's' and crossing the 't's' because we had opportunities and we just aren't making plays.

It's frustrating because we are not playing like we practice. We were executing at a much better pace earlier in the year and we have too many negative plays on offense and giving up too many big plays on defense. But again, I need to make sure we have the right players on the field and make sure I am giving us the best chance to win.

Again, one play, they lined up under center and we knew what was coming and we missed the C gap and they had a big play.

We've worked our butts off trying to cover up the movement of the defenses and our running backs struggled. But again, it's up to me to figure it out.

Asked about Chop's play today.....did not like that question! Basically says he has no idea what he did today but the Terps need to play better.

Today PSU played better than Maryland and my job is to make sure we are the team that plays better.
Reactions: terp john

***Penn State Game Thread***

We're about a half hour from kickoff between the Terps and PSU in Happy Valley. Terps going with the retro look today with the red Terps script helmet, white jersey with red, black and yellow stripes and red pants.

On the injury front, Rakim Jarrett warming up and it looks like he'll be a go today. On the other sideline, starting PSU corner Joey Porter Jr. is not dressed.

Login to view embedded media
Reactions: huehueterp

Interesting points in Drew Timme Q&A on NIL

A good Q&A with Gonzaga's Drew Timme but three specific to NIL, which could help college hoops keep some of its players

How has NIL impacted college basketball?

I would just say this: Look at all the dudes that came back because of it. Without NIL, Oscar (Tshiebwe) and I aren’t back. There’s a huge benefit of this. We’re able to get more money here by doing it than heading elsewhere. Look at the big matchups because of stars returning. I can’t wait to face Oscar and Kentucky this season. It raises the level of college basketball. I’m not in this position, but sometimes people have had to leave college basketball just to go make any sort of money for their families to make ends meet. NIL gives people a chance to stay in college, get better and develop while making money and earning a degree. Sometimes we’ve seen situations where people leave early, and what if they come back for one more year? What could it do for them? NIL opens up more doors in college sports.

Let’s just say you went pro. How much would you have made this season?

If I had to ballpark it, I would say $200,000-$500,000. If I could have been drafted where some better projections had me, it’s more.

How much will you make this season while staying in college?

I won’t get too far into specifics, but it’s going to be more. It will be more than that.

WBB: No. 17 Terps fall to No. 1 South Carolina in home opener

COLLEGE PARK, MD -- The No. 17 Terps (1-1) came up short against No. 1 South Carolina (2-0), 81-56, in their home opener in front of an energized home crowd of 9,244 people.

Maryland trailed the defending National Champions by just six points at halftime behind 16 first-half points from Abby Meyers. The Terps were stifling defensively to end the period, forcing South Carolina into misses on its last seven shots.

Meyers led the way for a Maryland offense that was without preseason All-Big Ten honoree Diamond Miller, notching a game-high 21 points and a team-high six rebounds. Shyanne Sellers and Faith Masonius each grabbed five boards while Elisa Pinzan dished out a team-high four assists.

The Terps were solid defensively, holding South Carolina to just 37.1 percent shooting in the first half. They also forced the top-ranked Gamecocks into 20 total turnovers, leading to 14 Maryland points.

South Carolina was led by reigning National Player of the Year Aliyah Boston and her 16-point, 13-rebound performance. Zia Cooke added 18 points.

The 9,244 attendance mark was the largest home crowd since the Terps' 83-47 takedown of Loyola University Maryland on Field Trip Day on Dec. 10, 2018.

Coach Brenda Frese's Take

"That was a great atmosphere. This is why our players come here, to play in games like this. Like I told them in the locker room, I really felt like we were going to learn a lot about ourselves in this game. Two games in with almost an entirely new roster, I saw a lot of really positive things, especially in the first half. We were walking into halftime six points down to the defending national champions...I thought our kids did a great job executing the game plan."

From The Newbies

"It's so special," Meyers said of her first home game as a Terp. "You have to take in this moment and just appreciate the opportunity to wear Maryland across your chest and to play at home in such an amazing atmosphere that you can't really get anywhere else."

"I really love it here," Brinae Alexander added. "I like playing in front of big crowds. Obviously, coming from the SEC, it's not new. I pride myself on wearing the (Maryland) name and not the name on the back."

Breaking Down The Action

• South Carolina led 19-12 at the conclusion of the opening quarter. Meyers scored nine of the Terps' 12 points on 4-of-shooting.
  • Maryland outscored the Gamecocks 14-13 in the second stanza to cut South Carolina's lead to 32-26 at halftime. The Terps held the Gamecocks without a point for the final 3:11 of play and forced them into misses on all but one of their last 11 shots.
  • South Carolina began to pull away in the middle of the third quarter and built a 19-point lead heading into the final 10 minutes of action.

Double-Figure Factors

• Meyers scored in double-figures for the second time in as many games as a Terp with 21. She's now reached double-digit scoring in 54 career games and has crossed the twenty-point threshold in 13 (with the previous 12 coming at Princeton).

1,000-Point Update

• Meyers is closing in on 1,000 points as she now has 987, with the first 947 coming at Princeton.
  • Also nearing the 1,000-point plateau is Lavender Briggs with 974. She netted 961 at Florida.
  • Elisa Pinzan is also chasing 1,000 points as she has 924 with 916 coming at South Florida.

Up Next

• The Terps will host Fordham on Sunday at 1 pm. That game will air on B1G+.
  • Sad
Reactions: terp john

Three things to watch for against Penn State

Honestly, I think it is pretty simple what Maryland needs to do if they are going to win this game later today. Lia needs to bounce back, the defense has to do a much better job of stopping the run and Hemby needs to go for over 100 yards and a score. The question is, are they capable of doing all three of those things? So far this season, they have struggled to pull out the win against similar teams like Michigan, Purdue and Wisconsin. Hopefully this is the game where they put it all together. More at the link.

STORY
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT