ADVERTISEMENT

Why would you/we/us attend a bowl game if

many of the players were entering into the NFL draft or portal? I mean talk about pissing on the fans. Will we play like Virginia Tech did last year. It's a shame because once they expand to 12 teams in the CFP, I expect many of the minor bowls like the Mayo Bowl to dry up. The minor bowl season will become like the NIT. This sucks!

How to Watch: Maryland vs. Tennessee

Maryland (8-1) vs. Tennessee (8-1)

When:
Sunday, Dec. 11 | 4:30 p.m. ET
Where: Barclays Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Television: FS1 (Streaming on FoxSports) - Watch Live
Broadcasters: Jason Benetti (play-by-play), Jim Jackson (color)
Radio: Maryland Sports Radio Network | Listen Online

Line: Terps +5.5
Over/Under: 134.5

Series history: The all-time series is tied, 2-2, with the Terps winning the most recent meeting 72-49 on Nov. 25, 1984 in Anchorage, Alaska.

Projected Starting Lineups

Tennessee

Tyreke Key (6-foot-2, Senior, G) - The Indiana State transfer is averaging 11.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game to start the season.
Jahmai Mashack (6-foot-4, Soph., G) - Averaging 6.3 points and 3.3 rebounds through the first nine games of the season.
Julian Phillips (6-foot-8, Fr., F) - The former Rivals five-star is averaging a team-high 12.2 points, 5.7 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game so far this season.
Olivier Nkamhoua (6-foot-9, Senior F) - Averaging 10.8 points and 5.0 rebounds per game.
Uros Plavsic (7-foot-1, Senior, C) - Averaging 5.3 points and 4.1 rebounds per game so far this season.

Maryland
Jahmir Young (6-foot-1, Senior, PG) - Averaging a team-high 15.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists through nine games.
Don Carey (6-foot-5, Senior, SG) - Averaging 7.9 points and 2.9 rebounds per game to start the season.
Hakim Hart (6-foot-8, Senior, G/F) - Averaging 12.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists to start the season.
Donta Scott (6-foot-8, Senior, F) - Averaging a team-high 14.7 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.7 assists so far this season.
Julian Reese (6-foot-9, Soph., F/C) - Averaging 12.3 points and a team-high 7.6 rebounds per game to start the season.

The Terps enter Sunday's game with Tennessee coming off of a loss for the first time this season. This top-20 matchup will be played in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center, which has been good to the Terps in recent years. Maryland has a strong alumni presence in NYC, including a number of basketball boosters and they show up in full force when the Terps are in town. Maryland defeated Florida in Brooklyn last season, one of the few bright spots in an otherwise poor season. The Terps should be fired up to play a top-10 opponent coming off of a tough loss at Wisconsin.

The Terps will likely need to be strong on the defensive end and need to shoot the ball well if they want to come away victorious. But perhaps the biggest key for Maryland on Sunday will be keeping JuJu Reese out of foul trouble. Tennessee is both big and deep and they will need Reese in the lineup for the majority of the game as a rim protector and to rebound. If Reese can remain on the floor and be productive on the offensive end, the Terps should have a real shot.

As for Tennessee, they enter Sunday's game a bit banged up, despite all of their depth. Starting guard Santiago Vescovi has missed the previous two games due to a shoulder injury, while fellow guard Josiah-Jordan James has been on a pitch count as he has dealt with knee soreness all season long. If Vescovi is to miss Sunday's game, that is a big loss for the Vols, while James playing limited minutes would also likely benefit the Terps as he is often described as the Vols' most complete player.

This will be a big test coming off of a loss and a real measuring stick for head coach Kevin Willard as the Terps are in the midst of a four-game stretch that will conclude Wednesday at home versus UCLA. A win would be a real statement to the rest of the country that the Terps are for real.

Login to view embedded media

BB double-header today ABC/FS1…

Women host UConn at 3:00 on ABC (Mowins/Lobo/Carter on the call, blackout game for fans/crowd, UConn only has 7 available players, possibly as few as 5 at full strength) followed at 4:30 by men at Barclay’s Center vs Tennessee on FS1. Terps men looking for first non-conference win vs top-10 opponent since 2008.

Brenda just won career game #600 in last game, looking for career win #1 vs Geno and UConn (0-7)

Roster, recruit list, portal/pro - what do we need

A little Saturday morning exercise, because why not. I took a look at the current roster, recruit list, portal entries and Sr/going pro. Gonna lay the numbers out here, by position, and then ask the question - where does this leave us and what do we need to get from the portal.

Seniors who have gone in the portal are listed in that column, and subtracted from the SR column to keep the numbers straight. Realize that some of those may decide to come back, do a grad transfer, or move on - TBD.

If you really want to slice and dice the numbers, we could look at the class make-up for each position group. But then we'd need TSR to tell us how good the youngsters are. For instance, the OL group has quite a few FR and SOPHs, but I have no idea how many of those gutys are ready to take on starting roles.

Time to opine.

PositionRosterSrRecruitPortal/Pro
QB
8​
0​
1​
0​
RB
7​
0​
1​
1​
WR
15​
3​
5​
3​
TE
8​
1​
1​
2​
OL
21​
4​
2​
3​
DL
15​
4​
3​
3​
LB
20​
8​
1​
3​
DB
17​
0​
2​
4​
K
2​
1​
0​
0​
P
3​
2​
0​
0​
LS
2​
0​
0​
0​
ATH
5​

From Sports Illustrated Review of The First Month of Basketball

Quote from SI's review of the first month of mens basketball.

Maryland got it right with Kevin Willard​

It’s usually best not to judge coaching hires after one season, let alone one month of one season. But it’s hard not to take notice of the job Willard has done early on at Maryland, which is off to a magnificent 8–1 start in Year 1.

Willard has seamlessly integrated a pair of transfer newcomers in Jahmir Young and Don Carey into the starting rotation after retaining three key cogs in Donta Scott, Julian Reese and Hakim Hart. Young, Carey and the Terps’ loaded 2023 recruiting class show a clear improvement from the Mark Turgeon era in recruiting the talent-rich state of Maryland, and the nonconference woes against high-level competition that were often evident under Turgeon have vanished.

The Willard hire wasn’t universally lauded because of his past struggles in the NCAA tournament, but it’s hard to argue with the success he had at Seton Hall in revitalizing a program that had fallen off. So far, Willard has made all the right moves, hiring a strong staff and making a good early impression. This feels like a marriage that could last a while.

Fact or Fiction: Maryland is the team to beat for Nyckoles Harbor

I was asked to give my thoughts on whether or not I think the Terps are the current leaders for Harbor. Not surprising, I said that I believe they are after he took an unofficial visit for the Illinois game. Most here should know I've been saying from the start that I believed the Terps would be in this recruitment until the very end and given some other recent flips, I felt good about Maryland's chances. Friedman might be right that Maryland isn't the current leader, but they absolutely have all the momentum at the moment with an official visit coming up in a few days. More at the link.

STORY
Reactions: huehueterp

WBB: Frese wins 600th career game in No. 20 Terps' 77-74 last-second victory at Purdue

WEST LAFAYETTE, IN -- Brenda Frese, the winningest coach in Maryland basketball history, picked up her 600th career win with a last-second 77-74 victory over the Purdue Boilermakers on Thursday night in Mackey Arena as Shyanne Sellers hit a game-winning three as time expired. Frese became the 49th coach in NCAA Division I history to win 600 games and stands 17th among active Division I coaches in wins with a 600-173 career record.

With 6.5 seconds remaining and the Terps in possession, Abby Meyers drove into the lane and spun around out of a double-team to find a wide-open Sellers on the right wing, who promptly buried the shot. It was Maryland's second buzzer-beater win in the past three games, with both coming on the road.

Diamond Miller was sensational once again, posting 18 points on 6-of-11 shooting to go along with six rebounds. Meyers was spectacular in her first game coming off the bench, pouring in a team-high 19 points, including three triples. Sellers not only hit the biggest shot of the night, she also tallied 15 points as she made it six games in a row that she has scored at least 10. Brinae Alexander netted 11 points, making 3-of-6 three-pointers.

After trailing for a majority of the first three quarters, the Terps took the lead in the final stanza thanks to big shots from Meyers and Miller. Purdue's Abbey Ellis answered with an individual 8-0 run to put the Boilermakers back up, but Alexander hit a key three to stop the bleeding.

With 34 seconds remaining and Purdue in possession, the teams were knotted at 74 apiece. The Terps came up with the big stop they needed as they were seemingly everywhere and forced the Boilermakers to throw the ball away with 6.5 seconds left, setting up Sellers' big shot.

The Terps shot 10-of-25 from deep (40 percent) overall and won the second-chance points battle 17-6.

Maryland moved to 8-3 on the season and 1-1 in the Big Ten while Purdue is now 8-2 overall and 1-1 in conference play.

Brenda's Takes

"Clearly, this will be a win I'll remember for a really long time, obviously with the dramatics at the end. I told these guys they're like the Cardiac Kids of keeping these games close and shots at the buzzers. I thought today, defensively, we set the tone, we were really aggressive forcing them into turnovers, we really needed to have the stops at the end of the game, which I thought were really key for us as a team. I love the response by Abby, that's what we need to be able to have, just every single one of our points and the play she made at the end. It was drawn up for her and she took the double-team and was able to kick it and Shy was fearless. That's why you put the hours in the gym, to be able to knock down that shot. Great team win where we had to have so many plays together to be able to come out against a really good, veteran-led team that can really score the basketball."

"Just super humbled," Frese said of her 600th win. "I've been so fortunate. One, to have the bulk of those wins here at Maryland, a place that's been really special and really good to our family. But behind those 600 wins, I haven't made a basket, I haven't scored a point, it's these players. They're the ones who have put themselves in a position to be able to have 600 wins and same with my staff. I've been really fortunate to have just great people that I get to work with everyday, that put countless hours in behind-the-scenes. It's not a single award, it's one over time with so many people involved."

From The Girls

"The play was drawn up for Abby and I saw she was going to be in a little bit of trouble, so I just filled in behind like we did in practice this week," Sellers said of her game-winner. "I saw the clock and saw that there was like 1.5 seconds and I was like, 'I don't have time to dribble and pull up', so I just shot it. It's going in—that's what I thought."

"I count my lucky stars every day that I get to play on this team and represent a program like this with such a legacy, with so many amazing players that have come through and helped count to that 600 (wins)," Meyers said. "Winning tonight was special. Game-winning shot, 600th win, you can't really call it better than that."

"I think we're just really competitive," Sellers said of the team. "Sometimes we make the game a little bit harder than it needs to be, but I tend to see that we like to come together in the end and pull it out together, just competing until the final minute. We still have a lot to work on, but I think we're doing pretty good for a team that just met less than a year ago."

Breaking Down The Action

• The two sides went back-and-forth in an offensive-heavy first quarter with Purdue holding a slim 23-20 advantage at the end. Abby Meyers came off the bench and scored a quick seven points to pace Maryland.
  • A three-point play by Miller with 1:17 remaining in the half put the Terps down just 38-35 at the midway point. Meyers and Miller combined for 16 points and Maryland turned 13 Boilermaker turnovers into 11 points.
  • The Boilermakers opened up an eight-point lead, their largest of the night, but the Terps made four of their final five field goals in the third stanza to cut the deficit to 57-61 heading into the final quarter.
  • The Terps opened the fourth quarter on a 7-2 run, keyed by a triple in transition from Miller. That put Maryland on top 64-63 for their first lead since late in the first quarter as Purdue called a timeout to stop the bleeding.
  • The teams traded baskets until the Terps came up with the big play when it was necessary as Sellers buried the triple.
Frese File

• Brenda Frese now has a career record of 600-173 (.777), the highest career percent- age of all Big Ten head men's and women's basketball head coaches in their Division I careers. That mark stands 13th among all active women's basketball head coaches with at least 200 games coached.
  • Frese has posted a 543-143 mark in 21 years with the Terrapins, making her the winningest coach in Maryland basketball history.
  • She has led the Terrapins to 18 NCAA Tournament appearances in her 20 postseasons so far. The Terrapins have advanced to 10 Sweet Sixteens, six Elite Eights, three Final Fours and the 2006 NCAA Championship under her. Frese has led her Maryland squads to 13 conference titles.
1,000 Point Update
  • Miller now stands 30th in career scoring at Maryland with 1,220. She passed Bonnie Rimkus who scored 1,218 during from 1991-94. Next up is Belinda Pearman at No. 29. She totaled 1,284 from 1981-84.
  • Meyers now has 1,096 in her career with 947 in her three seasons of action at Princeton before joining the Terps this season.
  • Lavender Briggs, who surpassed the 1,000-point mark in Maryland's game against Notre Dame, now has 1,015 overall. She netted 961 at Florida.
  • Elisa Pinzan is chasing 1,000 points as she has 961, for her career. She had 916 points at South Florida.
  • Brinae Alexander is also approaching the 1,000-point threshold as she has 937 career points, with 841 coming at Vanderbilt.
Double-Figure Update

• Miller (18 points) scored in double-figures for the ninth time in 10 games played this season. She's recorded 10 points or more 64 times in her career.
  • Meyers hit double-digit scoring for the ninth time this season and 61st time in her career, notching 19 points.
  • Sellers' 15 point-performance was her sixth consecutive game scoring 10 or more. She has accomplished that in nine of 11 games this season and 22 times overall.
  • Alexander notched 11 points, hitting double-digits for the fourth time this season and 46th in her career.
Series History
  • Maryland continues to dominate the series against the Boilermakers, holding a 16-2 advantage including a perfect 7-0 mark in West Lafayette.
Up Next
  • The Terps will host No. 6 Connecticut on Sunday, Dec. 11 at 3 pm for the Terps' Black-Out Game. The matchup will air on ABC. Buy tickets here.

221208_cly_wbb_at_purdue_1305.jpg

Reactions: terpaddict

Maryland WBB plays Purdue 6:30 on BTN

Purdue is 8-1. After the last disaster vs. Nebraska we will see what adjustments were made or can be made by Brenda and whether this season is going to be really, really long. New experience for this team as over the last 20 years we have been more than holding our own. We shall see. Good game to view. Need other players to show up besides Shy and Miller.
Reactions: terp john

Maryland names Kirby Mills Senior Associate Athletic Director/Chief Development Officer

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- University of Maryland alumnus and proven fundraising leader Kirby Mills has been named Senior Associate Athletic Director/Chief Development Officer for Maryland Athletics by Damon Evans, Barry P. Gossett Director of Athletics on Thursday.

Mills returns to his alma mater after serving as Associate Athletic Director, Development at Arizona State University. He has served in various development roles with the Sun Devils since 2017 where he led the fundraising unit in achieving collective team goals of generating more than $32.5M annually in new gifts and commitments from more than 10,000 unique donors. Mills oversaw all philanthropic giving in support of Arizona State Athletics through management and development of a diverse team of professional fundraisers focusing on one-on-one donor engagement, annual fund efforts and donor experience. He was responsible for managing a portfolio of high capacity donors and individually secured more than $4M in new gifts and commitments annually.

“I am incredibly excited to be returning to my alma mater in this role leading the Terrapin Club,” said Mills, who earned his Bachelor of Arts in Broadcast Journalism from Maryland’s prestigious Phillip Merrill College of Journalism in 2011 and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Maryland Global Campus in 2015. “Thank you to Damon, Brian Ullmann, Matt Hodge and Jim Harris for their support and trust in me. Maryland is one of the preeminent universities in the nation and has one of the top athletic departments and I can’t wait to connect with our many donors and supporters. Maryland has a tremendous legacy and being able to reimagine the Terrapin Club is something I take great pride in. I can’t wait to come home.”

Mills will fill the role recently vacated by Cheryl Harrison. Harrison, who has worked for the University of Maryland for 27 years, 23 of them in Maryland Athletics, will remain with the Terrapin Club, transitioning to a role leading principal gifts for the athletic department.

“We are thrilled to welcome Kirby home to Maryland,” said Evans. “He has had tremendous success in fundraising at Arizona State with innovative solutions and strategies. We are confident that he can lead the Terrapin Club to new levels and advance the culture of philanthropy with Maryland Athletics. He has proven himself in areas of growing donor bases and increased support with major gifts. We look forward to Kirby hitting the ground running in College Park.

“I would also like to thank Cheryl Harrison for her leadership in overseeing the Terrapin Club for many years and look forward to her continuing to grow and cultivate Maryland supporters in her new role.”

In his time at Arizona State, Mills received progressive promotions from Director of Major Gifts to Assistant Athletic Director to his current role as Associate Athletic Director. With the Sun Devils, Mills individually raised nearly $25M through donor support, including cash and gift planning commitments towards endowments, facilities, program needs and other departmental priorities. He has also been an instrumental part of a team that raised more than $100M over the last five years. He elevated the leadership giving efforts by building a pipeline leading to seven and eight figure donations. Mills individually secured an eight-figure commitment tied to the donor recognition of the recently dedicated Mullett Arena, a new multi-purpose venue, home of Arizona State ice hockey and the NHL’s Arizona Coyotes.

Prior to his time in The Valley, Mills worked at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater from 2015-17 where he finished his time as the Assistant Athletic Director, External Relations. Mills directed the revenue generation initiatives for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, supporting all 20 NCAA Division III programs by enhancing fundraising operations and implementing a corporate partner program. He also served as primary resource raiser and led a team of support personnel to build sustainable revenue models and increase external engagement through high-impact recognition and stewardship of corporate and philanthropic investors.

Before Whitewater, Mills worked various roles at Maryland from 2012-15. He served as the Assistant Director of Development in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences in 2014-15. Prior to that, he was Assistant Director of Football Operations/Outreach as well as a position handling Football Social Media and Operations Coordinator and working in the athletic department as a student worker.

Mills is a native of Georgetown, Delaware and continues a family legacy of Terrapins as three generations of his family attended Maryland. He grew up going to Maryland football games, sitting in Section 17, Row R. Mills and his wife Leah have a son Foster.

Cincinnati DB Ja'quan Sheppard

Looking very promising for Cinci DB Ja'Quan Sheppard, as he will officially visit College Park this weekend and is down to a final two of Maryland and UCF. Terps should have loads of PT for the grad transfer who has played both S and CB. He had 50 tackles (33 solo), a sack and 10 pass breakups this season.

He tweeted this out this morning:

Reactions: 9053 and terpfan86

Tagovailoa selected as Polynesian College Football Player of the Year finalist

HONOLULU, HI. -- Maryland redshirt junior quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa was announced as one of eight finalists for the Polynesian College Football Player of the Year Award on Thursday by the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame. The award is presented annually to the most outstanding college football player of Polynesian ancestry that epitomizes great ability and integrity.

This is the second year in a row Tagovailoa has been selected as a finalist for this award. The Ewa Beach, Hawaii native was a 2019 Polynesian Bowl All-Star as a senior in high school.

Tagovailoa completed 243 of his 354 pass attempts for 2,787 yards and 17 touchdowns during his redshirt junior season. A Second Team All-Big Ten selection, Tagovailoa ranks second in the Big Ten in completions and completion percentage (68.6), and third in passing yards. Tagovailoa has rewritten Maryland's record books, as he's now the program leader in career touchdown passes (50), career passing yards (7,658), total offense (7,843) and 300-yard passing games (12).

The other 2022 finalists are Viliami Fehoko (San Jose State), Siaki Ika (Baylor), Laiatu Latu (UCLA), Sataoa Laumea (Utah), Noah Sewell (Oregon), J.T. Tuimoloau (Ohio State) and Tuli Tuipulotu (USC). Tagovailoa is the only quarterback on the list and one of only two Big Ten players named a finalist.

The winner of the Polynesian College Football Player of the Year Award will be announced on December 13. The formal presentation of the Award will be held at the 2022 Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Celebration Dinner on January 21, 2023.

Tagovailoa's older brother and Miami Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa, is a two-time recipient of this award, winning in both 2018 & 2019 while at Alabama. Last year the award went to former Ohio State Defensive Lineman Haskell Garrett.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT